Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

My computer has died.

Go down 
+9
Austin Powers
Trig
Peng
Claude01
Demon Eyes Kyo
fatalitywolf
W. Birkin
Uvana
Buckaroo Banzai
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Number of posts : 272

My computer has died. Empty
PostSubject: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 6:14 pm

The day before yesterday I woke up happy and optimistic--it was a new day with new opportunities. I went through my daily ritual of turning on my computer carelessly as I walked into the kitchen and made coffee. But than when I returned to my room I knew something was wrong.

My computer was still starting.

So I sat and watched it start. It starts normally, but than at the point where windows XP would load, something else happens. I get a black screen which says that there was an error starting windows. It gives me several options like "Start windows normally" or "Run in Safe Mode" Or "Use last settings that worked."

Well. o matter which I chose my computer would quickly restart itself and the process repeats itself in an endless cycle of misery.

Now, I need some help in answering the following questions:

Is my computer dead? Is there a fix to this? What could have caused this?

As of right now, I'm typing this at my friend's house. I really won't be able to get on at all until I can get my computer fixed(if I can). So any help would be appreciated guys.
Back to top Go down
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 6:22 pm

there are two possibilities:

1: Your hardware is throwing an error. Confirm this by checking your error logs in your bios.

2: If it's not hardware, it's software. Your copy of windows may have been corrupted. That is easily fixed by putting the disk that came with the computer in and booting from that. Select 'repair install' and let it do its thing.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Happens all the time to me. Just start normally is what I do.

Works for me.
Back to top Go down
Uvana
Soldier
Uvana

Number of posts : 179

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 6:33 pm

BIOS isn't loading up the Operating System.

I can't remember how to fix that as my brain is fried, but I'll try and remember once I've rested up a bit. Try editing the BIOS (but use common sense.. don't change something that you have no idea what it does).
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyThu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Look here Pengy, this might be useful.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318027
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 3:26 pm

Hey everyone, Im just a friend of Penguin's that he asked to post on his topic for him while his computer is dead. Anywho he says that he threw out the disc that came with the computer and wants to know if he is screwed.

Im sort of worried that he might turn out to be like that second dog in Where The Red Fern Grows, where his one true friend is dead and eventually he just stops eating.
Back to top Go down
Uvana
Soldier
Uvana

Number of posts : 179

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Bahaha

I'm pretty sure you can download it off the internet somewhere. Just have him have a friend (possibly you) download a version online, and then burn the ISO on a disc.
Back to top Go down
fatalitywolf
Lord of Wolves
fatalitywolf

Number of posts : 164

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 6:12 pm

this happend to me like last week guess wut i had to do reinstall everything i lost everything all my data lost all the back up data too

so try reinstaling winndows and if you trow out the disks you get with your pc that one of the worst things you can do since it pretty much fuck u over if you have to fix your pc
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Jarki wrote:
Bahaha

I'm pretty sure you can download it off the internet somewhere. Just have him have a friend (possibly you) download a version online, and then burn the ISO on a disc.

I've got a mac. Can I download it or is it only PC? I really know nothing about computers other than ways they can replace a girlfriend.
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

Number of posts : 449

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySat Feb 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Yea i have the same thing happen to me everytime i run my computer that pengun and wesker are going through. I just start it normally and it always works fine. If i have any serious problems i just system restore.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyMon Feb 15, 2010 10:48 pm

Hey. This is the real penguin, typing on a goddamn iphone.

I Am going to check to make sure my hardrive is still working when I get home. Than I'm going
to get a copy of xp from the computer place.

If all goes well, I'll be posting agaain soon. If not, I'll have to get a new computer...for Christmas or something. Im not spending 100 bucks on a new hardrive for my shitty computer.

Also, attention whoring post bump.
Back to top Go down
Claude01
Lab Assistant
Claude01

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyTue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 am

Penguin Hunter wrote:
Hey. This is the real penguin, typing on a goddamn iphone.

I Am going to check to make sure my hardrive is still working when I get home. Than I'm going
to get a copy of xp from the computer place.

If all goes well, I'll be posting agaain soon. If not, I'll have to get a new computer...for Christmas or something. Im not spending 100 bucks on a new hardrive for my shitty computer.

Also, attention whoring post bump.

You're screwed you motherfucker
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Exciting update of excitement!!

I will most likely be having some computer people look at my computer the next time I have $20 which I feel like throwing away.

This means by the end of the year.

But if it's a problem with my hardrive than I'm fucked. I was never able to do the test to see if my hardrive was working or not, so I don't know how this will turn out.

P.S. - Care about me!!1!! Angry
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 5:32 pm

Hurry the fuck up! D=<
Back to top Go down
Austin Powers
The Bartender
The Bartender
Austin Powers

Number of posts : 72

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Yes! I wuld like some more intelligent conversation here.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Badass
Badass
Konstantine

Number of posts : 19

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:00 pm

Penguin! I need you!
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 10:19 pm

I am back as all hell.

Managed to keep all my files as well! My computer should be back to normal in a couple hours. I just need to move all my backuped files back to where they need to be.

Everything who's birthday I missed: I am truly a sorry flightless arctic bird. I'll be sure to get back to you with birthday wshes as soon as I can.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyThu Apr 08, 2010 10:24 pm

You haven't missed my birthday yet, Pengy.

22nd of this month.

I demand Ice Cream Cake.

If you absolutely must put a stripper in it, make sure she's Russian. I don't think American strippers could survive the cold.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:26 am

It will be so. But I warn you, she will be with one leg and six children.
Back to top Go down
Synyster Gates
Harbinger of Words 2.0
Synyster Gates

Number of posts : 92

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 11:15 am

Pengy? Pengy! Peeengy pEnGy PeNgY PENGUIN!

I press caps repeatedly while typing when I'm excited.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 pm

Well get ready to be even more excited!!

RS membership is going to be bought incredibly soon!
Back to top Go down
Austin Powers
The Bartender
The Bartender
Austin Powers

Number of posts : 72

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 8:58 pm

Gasp! the Peng!
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 pm

Penguin Hunter wrote:
Well get ready to be even more excited!!

RS membership is going to be bought incredibly soon!

Expound! D=< How soon?!
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 9:12 pm

@ Austin: =D

@ Trigger: Around the 24th!
Back to top Go down
Synyster Gates
Harbinger of Words 2.0
Synyster Gates

Number of posts : 92

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 11:44 am

Finally! The Umbrella clan of RS has been incredibly inactive! We should get Birkin to become a member at the same time as you two, and go do stuff!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My computer has died.   My computer has died. Empty

Back to top Go down

My computer has died.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next