Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Final Fantasy XIII

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

Number of posts : 76

Final Fantasy XIII Empty
PostSubject: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 3:12 pm

So I finally crawled out of my hole this morning at about 10AM having beaten this game. Before I start bashing it, I just wanted to point out that I got my copy and got home and started playing at approximately 12:45AM tuesday. I finished at 10AM today. That alone should tell you how addictive and awesome FF13 is.

There are plenty of good things about this game. It's amazingly pretty for one. Must be played on the ps3, with a 50" hdtv. No exceptions. Random encounters really are a thing of the past. The encounter system feels like Star Ocean, if anyone other than me, my roommate, and one other dude ever played that game, but the battle and leveling system is something entirely new, and I like it.

Battle, as I'm sure the internet will tell you, is based off of a time gauge. But you don't need to wait till the whole gauge is full, only as long as it takes to use whatever ability. There is no mana, spells only take up a chunk. bigger spells and skills take up more space on the bar. You do need to build up summons and special techniques, but I was never lacking in technique points.

The leveling system is something completely different as well. Think license board/job board but without levels and you only use that. 'xp' comes in the form of points for your 'crystarium' and you spend them to get stronger abilities and stats.

As anticipated, and I am glad to say, as delivered, the story was amazing. Regardless of anything else, play this game for the story.

But now for the bad bits. This is a final fantasy game that is nearly 100% linear. I'm not saying that's really a bad thing, but there are like, two side quests, and they can both be completed in the same chapter. For a series that prides itself on optional content, I was sorely disappointed.
There is no world map. before you tell me 'oh, there was no world map in 12 and it was awesome!' I can agree, 12 was awesome. 12 also had a quadrillion hours of extra content and multiple paths you could take through areas and like, a 'reason' to explore. here, again, there is 'one' chapter that has a meandering area, and it's huge.
It's hard to really 'grind' and therefore, hitting the difficulty difference between later chapters is like hitting a brick fucking wall. The difference in points earned by defeating them is big enough you quickly catch up, but damn. There are also enemies that will kill you if you look at them funny. On my next play through, I will be teaching those things a firm lesson.

Tl;DR: I would not ask for any of the 35 hours I spent playing this game back. It was all worth it. Even the 20 times I died trying to defeat the final boss because I was using the wrong methods.
Back to top Go down
Synyster Gates
Harbinger of Words 2.0
Synyster Gates

Number of posts : 92

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

Final Fantasy XIII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 7:04 pm

35 hours?

No optional sidequests?

NO LEVELLING UP!?

My faith in the game is gone...
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

Number of posts : 449

Final Fantasy XIII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 am

yea sounds like 12 kicks the shit outta this game Tongue

naw joking.

But still yea that kinda suck about being on a set path. I always loved to explore different stuff and backtrack

as for grinding. not a huge fan. so it sounds like the perfect game for me in that area. My brother will sit for hours making his guys level 40 when at the same point in the game i'm level 20. I like to fly through the game other then sidequests, which makes bosses alot more challenging. Lotta people end up "stocking up" items and stuff throughout the game. Where when i play by the time i'm at the last boss i'm using like whatever good items i actually did save to help give me the edge in the fight Smiley

I so wish i had a PS3 or any new gaming system. I'm still using old faithful, PS2.

Think i might pop in 12 and finnaly try to kill that last hunt. OMEGA XIII or whatever is a PAIN IN THE ASS!!! I refuse to use a guide to kill him and his health is like mt. everest bullshit high xD
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

Final Fantasy XIII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 1:46 am

Complaining about high health enemies? Try Pink Bean. XD

It's only ever been beaten once. A one-hour time limit just isn't enough to cut through 2,000,000,000 HP, even with four parties of mostly NLs spamming triple throw with shadow-partner on while equipping fucking godly scrolled Reverse Lampions and throwing Balanced-Fury-shuriken. Especially when you have to destroy statues every so often to get rid of Pink Bean's shield. Having 30,000 touch damage doesn't help either, considering that's the HP cap. At least its Genesis bomb can't hit higher than 29,999.

Hard final boss is hard.

Actually, it's only the PET of the final boss. The real final boss doesn't exist in the game yet.

*Loves talking about games that have nothing to do with the game being discussed*

Final Fantasy XIII Pb10
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

Number of posts : 449

Final Fantasy XIII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 2:27 am

wtf game are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Final Fantasy XIII Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Fantasy XIII   Final Fantasy XIII Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Fantasy XIII
Page 1 of 1