Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Gundam Vs. Eva

Go down 
+4
Synyster Gates
Demon Eyes Kyo
Wesker
Trig
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:21 pm

Albert Wesker wrote:
EVA-1, with all due respect, does not deserve "Gundam-tier" Honors.

That article makes me sad.

Evangelion beats Gundam in every way, shape, and form. The only thing respectable about Gundam is its age, and the fact that it was once innovative.

Evangelion is among the most original "Giant fighting robot" anime/mangas ever created, and as such, deserves every honor it gets.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:26 pm

Trigger wrote:
Albert Wesker wrote:
EVA-1, with all due respect, does not deserve "Gundam-tier" Honors.

That article makes me sad.

Evangelion beats Gundam in every way, shape, and form. The only thing respectable about Gundam is its age, and the fact that it was once innovative.

Evangelion is among the most original "Giant fighting robot" anime/mangas ever created, and as such, deserves every honor it gets.

Yeah.. You keep telling yourself that, Trigger. One day, your wish might come true!
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:27 pm

>.>

Name one way Gundam is better than Evangelion.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:29 pm

Gundam doesn't rebuild the same damn series over and over again.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Uh... What? Next to Power Rangers, Gundam is probably the most notorious series for rehashing the same old junk year after year.

And Eva has only rebuilt its series once, so I don't know where you got the "over and over again" from. And at least it's a rebuild, implying that there's new material as well as upgrades to the old stuff. Better than being a rehash.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:36 pm

The only thing I've seen stay the same in all the gundam series' is the giant robot factor.

They change pretty much everything else.

I've seen the Evangelion rebuild with my sister, by the way. Nothing new; Basically the series again, but with prettier animation.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:56 pm

Which of the four episodes of the Evangelion rebuilds did you see? My guess is only the first one, which does indeed change very little.

And with only a few series that present minor changes, every incarnation of Gundam has the same exact themes.

1. The main character shalt be male, usually under the age of 18.
2. The main character shalt have a group of friends that all rely on him because they suck.
3. The main character shalt find a gundam. Not any gundam, but an epic one.
4. The main character shalt be discovered to have some sort of special gundam-piloting skill or gene.
5. The main character shalt, despite his youth and lack of training, be far superior to most professional fighter pilots.
6. The main character shalt join the underdog faction early in the story.
7. The main character shalt live on some sort of flying base.
8. The main character shalt develop a love interest, always of the opposite gender, and never fornicate.
9. The main character shalt upgrade to a better gundam halfway through the story.
10. The main character shalt have an overpowered rival from the other faction. (Char, etc)
11. The main character shalt be defeated by his rival.
12. The main character shalt defeat his rival in a rematch.
13. The main character shalt kick all ass immediately upon drawing his beam saber.
14. The main character shalt start every battle with a shield and gun, both of which will be destroyed or lost before the end of the battle.
15. The main character shalt spend the first part of every battle easily killing random weak enemies (Even though they have more training) before facing a much more powerful enemy in a boss fight.
16. The main character shalt survive the final battle.
17. The "fodder" enemy shalt be green. (Leos, Zakus, etc)
18. The main gundam shalt have white as its primary color.
19. The main character shalt lose his confidence following a failure, and will have to be patted on the back by his worthless friends.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 3:10 pm

I have seen 2/4 episodes of the rebuild.

I can only see three of those themes that have stayed in all of the series: 7, 8, and 13, although I haven't seen every gundam series ever made from start to finish.

Some of those are just Anime Generalizations, such as 10. Every good main character needs a rival.

However, you seem pretty damn adamant about this, so I guess there's no changing your mind. I'll just separate our discussion from this thread and put it in the debate section.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyWed May 12, 2010 3:35 pm

Mobile Suit Gundam -
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Gundam Seed -
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Gundam Wing -
1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18,

G Gundam -
1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 16, 18, 19

Z Gundam -

ZZ Gundam -

Gundam 0083 -

That's just a few of the more popular Gundam series.
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

Number of posts : 449

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyThu May 13, 2010 9:49 am

Gundam Wing is by far the best Giant Robot anime there is. Now Eva may have the gundam series beat Manga wise, but Anime wise Gundam kicks its ass in every way shape and form.

BTW here's how the entire Evangalion series plays out:
Angel #1337 shows up.
Evangalion launches.
The thing can either have a big ass shield or regenerate.
Evangalion starts to lose.
The 5 minute power cell counter starts ups
Evangalion gets a new weapon
Angel Dies
Next episode starts up with about 15 minutes of drama "i dont know what to do" bul shit.

Gundam is about wars, so every episode has a differnt way for it top play out, sure the gundams win and yada yada, but the fights all play out differntly.

Not to mention the majority of the gundams look alot cooler, and could kick an evangalions ass 6 ways from sunday if they fought. Only thing a gundam cant do an evangalion can is have a seizure and go berzerk

BTW Gundam is the origional Giant Robot anime series thats didnt have stuff like Voltron. Evangalion is just a twist on what Gundam started so that not really origional in that sense. And Gundam series hae been upgrading more an more and being orinioal in that sense like Eva
Back to top Go down
Synyster Gates
Harbinger of Words 2.0
Synyster Gates

Number of posts : 92

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyThu May 13, 2010 11:59 am

I have played the Gundam game.

I have played the NGE game.

I have read the Gundam manga.

I have read the NGE manga.

In both cases, NGE held my interest way more. The only thing NGE has against it is it's horrible main character who whines so much.

I have to say, space battles between robots are really uninteresting. And that's the only thing I remember about Gundam.

And of course, Duo's hair.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyThu May 13, 2010 12:09 pm

Everything Kyo just said is either horribly incorrect, or opinion, so Imma just go ahead and say that I agree with Syn. Shinji is a rather weak main character. I was hoping he would grow some balls there at the end, but he never did. All the same, I prefer him over any of Gundam's protagonists.

Except perhaps Trowa. That dude was cool. Anyone who can play a flute, perform identity theft, and pilot the coolest gundam ever made must certainly get a jiggy.
Back to top Go down
fatalitywolf
Lord of Wolves
fatalitywolf

Number of posts : 164

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyThu May 13, 2010 3:50 pm

ghost in the shell is better for mecha's lol
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyThu May 13, 2010 4:24 pm

Trigger wrote:
1. The main character shalt be male, usually under the age of 18.
2. The main character shalt have a group of friends that all rely on him because they suck.
3. The main character shalt find a gundam. Not any gundam, but an epic one.
4. The main character shalt be discovered to have some sort of special gundam-piloting skill or gene.
5. The main character shalt, despite his youth and lack of training, be far superior to most professional fighter pilots.
6. The main character shalt join the underdog faction early in the story.
7. The main character shalt live on some sort of flying base.
8. The main character shalt develop a love interest, always of the opposite gender, and never fornicate.
9. The main character shalt upgrade to a better gundam halfway through the story.
10. The main character shalt have an overpowered rival from the other faction. (Char, etc)
11. The main character shalt be defeated by his rival.
12. The main character shalt defeat his rival in a rematch.
13. The main character shalt kick all ass immediately upon drawing his beam saber.
14. The main character shalt start every battle with a shield and gun, both of which will be destroyed or lost before the end of the battle.
15. The main character shalt spend the first part of every battle easily killing random weak enemies (Even though they have more training) before facing a much more powerful enemy in a boss fight.
16. The main character shalt survive the final battle.
17. The "fodder" enemy shalt be green. (Leos, Zakus, etc)
18. The main gundam shalt have white as its primary color.
19. The main character shalt lose his confidence following a failure, and will have to be patted on the back by his worthless friends.

Most of those describe every hero ever.
Back to top Go down
Z 1
Shotgun Surgeon
Z 1

Number of posts : 79

Character Sheet
Name: Talethal Yoric
Weapons: Aeromancer
Items: Lute, Raiper

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyThu May 13, 2010 4:33 pm

Eureka Seven has them all beat.

Main char is awesome, whiny, but yet has a pair. Has next to no training sept for moving the mechs from point a to b and person board training, and yet can kill everything. Has a girlfriend who is crazy and not human.

In a match up E7 would win.

1. Yes
2. No, the other pilots are good to
3. yes
4. Yes
5. yes
6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes, though sex may or may not have been had
9. Yes and no, the mech evolved
10. Yes
11. Yes
12. Yes
13. Yes, with own weapon though
14. Yes no
15. Yes
16. Yes
17. No
18. Yes
19. Yes, but with non worthless friends.

Last edited by Z 1 on Thu May 13, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyThu May 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Solid Snake would nuke the shit out of them.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyThu May 13, 2010 11:29 pm

Pfft, I've got a solid snake for you right here.

*WINK WINK WINK*
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyFri May 14, 2010 7:10 am

Eureka Seven? your kidding right? They cant do shit without a Wave or a surfboard.

Awesome Gundam Characters:
Heero - The dude is a brainwashed military Killing Machine
Trowa - Has ZERO fear of death, uses a circus as a cover getting knives thrown at him, pilots a badass gundam which is 80% covered in weapons. Event he god damn titties on the thing are gatling guns!
Lt. Noin - The only female pilot ever who could be considered a "lifelike" hero.
Treiz Kuche Renada (spelt wrong) - This guy is the mafia man of giant robots. He basically takes over the world with OZ, and he does it with class.

I cant recall many of the othr series cause after watching Gunam Wing most failed to compare. except for 08th MS team, that series had some of the most lifelike giant robot combat scenes you can ever see. When man uses giant robots in war,its prolly gonna go down like this series.

Awesome Eva Characters:
Asuka - She is badass when she is angry, but has the typical characer baisis of all teenage military anime women.
... no more, possibly the drunk chick who lives with shinji

Awesome Gundam Robots:
Gundam Heavy Arms - Theres nothing it cant kill, and when it gets customized it doubles its already massive firepower. Rarely will this dude run outta bullets, and if he should, combat knife.
Aries - As far as mass produced robots go, this thing is the cream of the crop. It can go from fighter jet, to highly agile "still" airborn killing machine.
Leo - The every-mans giant robot. Its got so many customizations it can add on for any situation.
Gouf - When it comes to urban warfare you cant get much better then this. Electrical whip to disrupt an enemy robot, machine gun hands, and a big ass sword.
Mercurais & Vyate - the ultimate two man fighting team, the red one puts up the shield and gets in close, and while their foes atempt to run Vyate, blows them away.
Gundam 2 ?? - the one from stardust memories. Its main weapon is a beam cannon, and a Nuclear Missle launcher. I dont think much can stop a nuke.
Acguy - FEAR THEIR NUMBERS!! When it comes to underwater combat these guys are liek piranas, one may not be much of a threat but a swarm is nearly unstopable.

Awesome Eva Giant Robots:
Eva Unit 1 - yea he's it

so um Evangalion is supposdly the best because... it was really confusing at times?
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyFri May 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeah, the following post is one big spoiler. Just a warning to all you folks out there.

Awesome Evangelion Mechs - I'm gonna leave out the fact that they're all basically living creatures with organs, blood, and human souls.

Evangelion Unit 0 - Goes fucking insane, kills people, then is later melted down and remade into an even more effective killing machine before being blown to pieces while blowing something else to pieces after throwing a giant lance into space in order to kill another bigassmotherfucker.

Evengelion Unit 1 - Also goes fucking insane, several times in fact. Has a penchant for ripping things apart, and then eating them alive.

Evangelion Unit 2 - Has a plethora of weapons, including needle-missile launchers in the wing-cages, which are used at one point to impale something through the face about a dozen times. It also has the most awesome progressive knife, which resembles a box cutter, and is used frequently. In the end, Eva-2 is destroyed fighting the mass-production Evas. Though Eva-2 fights valiantly, and manages to decapitate, emaciate, disembowel, and generally rip several of them to shreds, they unfortunately manage to regenerate and impale Eva-2 through the skull with half a dozen lances before ripping it apart and eating it.

Jet Alone - The first attempt at making an unmanned Evangelion. Unfortunately, shit hits the fan, and it decides that it wants to blow up Tokyo-3. I love the retro design to its armor.

Evangelion Unit 3 - Is the third most awesome-looking with a black armor design. Unfortunately, it is infected and taken over by an angel during a test-run by the newest pilot, Touji Suzuhara. Eva-1 is forced to destroy it after a short but epic battle, which leaves Touji dead.

Evangelion Unit 4 - Is the second most awesome-looking, with a solid white/chrome armor design. Unfortunately it is destroyed in a tactical explosion before it sees its first battle. It only gets points for looking epic.

Evangelion Provisional Unit 5 - Appears only in the new Evangelion movies, and is fucking awesome. It is also piloted by someone not seen in the original series. Unfortunately, it explodes.

Evangelion Unit 6 - Another new Evangelion only seen in the movies. Currently nothing is known about it, except that it's located on a base on the moon. The pilot is Kaworu Nagisa, who is awesome, and didn't have an Eva of his own in the original series.

Evangelion Unit 8 - Another new Evangelion only seen in the movies. Nothing is known, except for its appearance, and that it has thrusters. Also, a new pilot will be introduced.

Evangelion Mass Production Units 5-13 - The epitome of mass-production mecha, surpassing the Aries by far. They are unmanned, but are considerably more successful than Jet Alone was. They also win the award for the coolest-looking Evangelion, with their abnormal heads, kickass swords, and wings. Though they aren't very intelligent, they make up for it with their numbers, and regenerative qualities.

Awesome Evangelion Characters -

Shinji Ikari - Hate on him if you want. He is indeed a wimp, and a whiny one at that. But at this particular juncture in the development of mecha-anime, I'll take him over the cliched "Cold calculating killer" or the "Normally carefree lad that strives for world peace." Also, Shinji is very possibly gay, which goes against the norm. And the norm is boring. Remember how awesome Dumbledore was?

Rei Ikari - Every good anime needs a weird-ass character who's difficult to understand. Rei pulls this off with gusto. You'll spend the first several episodes trying to figure her out. Then Shinji comes across a giant tank full of naked Rei clones. Then your mind explodes. Then you figure out Rei is basically Shinji's mother. Then you're suddenly glad that Shinji is gay, because incest is icky.

Asuka Langley Soryu - Redhead! Sociopathic. Mentally unstable! German. Violent, violent, violent.

Touji Suzuhara - The typical jock, and comic relief. But rather than allow this cliche to exist, the writers of NGE had him violently killed off. Who doesn't love a series that isn't afraid to kill off its key characters?

Ken - The otaku, and military buff. Likes to dress up in camouflage and videotape things. I like his eccentricity.

Kaworu Nagisa - The fifth Eva pilot. Or is he? No, he's actually the last angel, and Shinji's love interest (Or rather, it's implied). Kaworu is sent by Seele to intermingle with the guys at Nerv, and then initiate Third Impact when their guard is down. Luckily, Shinji kills him violently.

Misato - The typical "Blatantly sexual woman the main character lives with." Luckily, NGE's writers gave her a buttload of depth to counteract her cliched role. Unfortunately, she is killed in an explosion after promising to sex Shinji up if he saves the world.

Kaji - He's cool simply because he's cool. And he gets all the bitches. Then he gets shot in the head, like all cool people.

Gendo Ikari - Unreadable! Oh lawdy, how I love confusing characters. He's like, a quadruple agent, or something like that. Eventually, he ingests an angel and goes on a killing spree throughout the base while Seele soldiers raid the place and starts killing all Nerv agents, including Misato. I don't know what happens after that. The manga hasn't gotten that far yet, where I'm reading it.

Also, I agree. Eureka Seven is horrid.
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyFri May 14, 2010 7:21 pm

i saw Eva three time i couldn't even remember 20% of what you just posted, thats how little of an impact eva made on me
Back to top Go down
Synyster Gates
Harbinger of Words 2.0
Synyster Gates

Number of posts : 92

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyFri May 14, 2010 8:31 pm

I remember Touji. He was my favorite character. His death made me want to stop reading.
Back to top Go down
fatalitywolf
Lord of Wolves
fatalitywolf

Number of posts : 164

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyFri May 14, 2010 9:19 pm

full metal panic wins
Back to top Go down
Johnny Sasaki
Survivor
Johnny Sasaki

Number of posts : 1

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 3:24 am

I used a be a big evangelion fan from way back. I even used to call myself shinji cause I was raging emo now then. I'm just of emo light now. But the reason I like evangelion so bad was that it was basically a kid with a giant semi-robot with that had a crap life up till that point. Which was me kind of without the robot. Other then that I liked cause it was basically towards the end a big wtf kind of thing that was fun to try think of what the hell was going on. Which was just shinji having a nervous break down and everyone dieing. But I will never watch this new rebuild stuff all the way through cause I don't like how they pulled in a game character from a dating sim, messed with her personality and made her a weirdo..

Really I never watched gundam.. Well beside seed. And not the whole thing cause I didn't like the main character to much.. He reminded me of cloud a little to much for my taste but I wouldn't call it a bad anime.

Based on the fighting robots... I would lean toward evangelion. Living robot infused with living souls of people that can regenarate and what semi-free will is kind of awesome and kind of blows just regular fighting robots out of water.

Story wise... Evangelion is not really all that deep even though it was write to look like it. Its mostly just shinji whining, Asuka bitching, misato getting drink and fan service till he fights an angel.

Gundam is just giant robot fighting and ageist. Thats really it.

So I would have to give it to evangelion..even if I would never watch the new stuff.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyMon Jun 21, 2010 4:42 pm

I like the Rebuild, myself. Shiny new retelling is shiny and new! I've gone thirteen years without any new episodes, so I guess this is the next best thing.

Yeah, that's definitely a point for Gundam. New seasons are still being made. D=
Back to top Go down
Johnny Sasaki
Survivor
Johnny Sasaki

Number of posts : 1

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva EmptyTue Jun 22, 2010 9:12 pm

True, gundam does come up with new stuff. But Evangelion really can't cause they killed off a lot of people in end of evangelion. Its even implied that Shinji and asuka are like the last people on earth, though there is most likely more. I wonder what will they do as a ending to rebuild. The confusing ever thing in the anime was just in shinji's head ending or the everyone dies end..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gundam Vs. Eva Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gundam Vs. Eva   Gundam Vs. Eva Empty

Back to top Go down

Gundam Vs. Eva
Page 1 of 1