Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Dead end.

Go down 
+4
Pest02
Warhero30
fatalitywolf
Demon Eyes Kyo
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 7:09 am

I have hit a wall.

Of course, The Umbrella Corporation is our name. I acknowledge and respect that. We need a nickname though, something that sets us apart from the other Umbrella's. We also need a catchprase of some sort.

Also, I suck at CSS. So the multi-forum forum I wanted us to have may not work unless one of you can pull a CSS mastery out of your...well, you get my point. To anyone that can understand this, please tell me.

The top two things solve a whole lot of problems. I might be able to fix the domain name, add tags to attract new members, make a Facebook page, and ask for a more custom and unique banner specific to us.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 7:42 am

Why do we need to set ourselves apart from "Other Umbrella's"? I mean, I've never
heard anyone mistake us for any other sort of Umbrella. What sets us apart from others
is that our base of operation was/is in Dead Frontier. We're unknown anywhere else, save
for on the UC:UD. Umbrella Corporation: Dead Frontier, that's us, that's who we are.

We need to update and fix the Wiki page, too. That would also draw people to us.

As far as custom art and images, I'm not skilled enough to make anything 100% from
scratch. I just don't have the skill for it. I'm getting better with Photoshop though. So,
if I can help in any way, let me know.

We already have a nice little catch phrase. "Our business Is Life Itself" If anyone has
seen our image on the DF Wiki, you'll notice a nice little addition at the end.

"Our Business Is Life Itself. No matter the outcome."
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Character Sheet

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Birk, I want to have a seperate forum for each member group. The Dead Frontier Umbrella branch will have its own section and keep all its belongings.

What about the other members? 'The Umbrella Corporation' in Runescape doesn't work that well, as zombies and skeletons are relatively weak.

I planned to use the themes posted here, but my understanding of CSS has limited me.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 6:22 pm

There isn't really a clan set up in RS anyway. What have we done as a group on RS
that constitutes us being a clan? Aside from goofing off, nothing, really. What about
wow? jut how many of us play that?

If you're seriously wanting to go down Havoc's trail, then you're going to need to focus
your attention at one place first. There's no sense in going and making a huge amount
of changes for players we don't even have yet. Though I'm going to say it here, I'm
still opposed to trying to make this place into a gaming hub.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Number of posts : 272

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 6:33 pm

Yeah, honestly, I like the setup we have now. Game fads are going to come and go, and can have topics made about them. But what you're proposing seems like it's overdoing it a little bit.
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

Number of posts : 449

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 7:28 pm

indeed i can see actual games we really group around but not the ones a few of us play as friends not as a whole group.

DF is our thing, we have a few others, before you try and do all that actual see if you can bbuild up a clan base IN that game. no point having a pointless board if we dont have an actual clan branch in that game
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Character Sheet

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 8:05 pm

I want an option where people can choose which theme they want in their profile. Nothing really that different.
Back to top Go down
fatalitywolf
Lord of Wolves
fatalitywolf

Number of posts : 164

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyWed Sep 29, 2010 9:28 pm

u can do that in admin settings
Back to top Go down

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:31 am

I'm not sure if I'm pro multiple websites. I am however pro universal website that is neutral in style and can accommodate sections for all different areas.

Havoc's old plan:
Make a universal guild for all major games we play. Invite people from those games to join. Once we gain enough members make off linking sites for those games.

Havoc's New Plan:
Make a neutral game site that has sections for all major games we play (points at the df section we have), get us a name that we come up with ourselves, make a banner for the site, possibly upgrade to a newer free website creator, start inviting people to join the guild (It would probably be classified more as a guild then a clan at this point) and see were that takes us. I've started to like the idea of one general site so there can be one general place for a roleplay, a cafeteria, etc, etc.. It seems that people wouldn't enjoy multiple sites because it would be hard to find each other depending on which site we are surfing.

Essentially, I really like what we have going on here I just think it should be built upon into something more user friendly to players of other games besides DF. I know we built the clan as a DF clan but the clan was made before DF was made.. And DF (Though great for just one guy making it) didn't keep the attention span as long as it should have for most of the clan. So I would like to see us keep in contact and gain more members as a general gaming guild instead of a 1 zombie mmo clan.
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Character Sheet

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:54 am

It's not multiple websites, its multiple themes.

And Wolf, its not that easy.
Back to top Go down

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 10:47 am

Either way I would still like to see it passed we call ourselves something else then Umbrella.

"Its our signature" some might cry! Nay! It isn't.. its the signature evil company of resident evil gaming series. We haven't asked permission to use any of it and thusly it isn't ours to use. If we further ourselves to obtain more members we will also be made more aware of. In being made aware of we chance ourselves with somehow being reported for copyright issues.. Which even though is a small chance It would still worry me. (Not to mention Umbrella is not a neutral name like I've been requesting for. It deals with zombies. Something most mmo's either have a weak version of or none at all.

I like Mad Science but I think we should make a thread (Or just use this one since that was one of its main goals of this thread) and ask requests for a new name.

Note: I've got a side project going which I have barely started on. Its going to be a halo clan under the name "The Faceless Legion" (Witty in my opinion since multiplayer spartans are denied ability to take off their helmet).

We are free to use that name if it pleases the general public but I just don't think many people here would like that name very much.
Back to top Go down
Warhero30
Survivor
Warhero30

Number of posts : 37

Character Sheet
Name: Odin
Weapons: .50 Taurus Raging Bull, Shoulder Harness Knife, Weighted Throwing Knife, Dual Concealed .22 Pistols, Garrote Wire
Items: Spare Ammo, Zippo,Ciggerettes

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 2:14 pm

While I do love Resident Evil and the Umbrella Corporation I do think that Havoc has a point with that one. However i'm not sold on "The Faceless Legion". I'm not saying I don't like it but i'm not sure. I shall ponder this.
Back to top Go down

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 3:59 pm

I didn't expect people to like it. I pointed that in my post.. Lol. I was just saying that was an up and coming halo clan I was helping a friend produce.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 4:37 pm

Again, what's the point in making the changes when we don't have that many players?

You keep talking about how so many people aren't playing DF, what makes that any worse
than people not playing Halo, or WoW, cause I can guarantee you that there are just as
many people not playing either of those games as they are the aforementioned games.
Back to top Go down

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 5:23 pm

The point is we would be aiming to HAVE many players.

Currently, if you invited a person from halo (its an example) they would look at you like your an idiot and say what the fuck does this have to do with halo? (aside from the one section thread titled halo reach).

The aim, Birkin, is to neutralize the site so that it is a place that people from all games can come from and find the joys of. Yes, in time their loves for that game will pass and some will leave. OTHERS, however, will do just as we have done and stick around because we have made friends here. The aim is not to become a super uber popular gaming hub. But to widen our reach to obtain more people of like minds as us. By that I mean people who like to hang out just for the fact of hanging out.

Currently we are comparable to the group dressed in black that huddles in the corner not talking to anyone except themselves. (Not other game friendly). I'd like us to dress a little brighter (other game friendly) in an attempt to attract more people to join our group and have great kickassary together.

Personally I see no harm in that.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 6:45 pm

Havoc wrote:

Currently we are comparable to the group dressed in black that huddles in the corner not talking to anyone except themselves. (Not other game friendly). I'd like us to dress a little brighter (other game friendly) in an attempt to attract more people to join our group and have great kickassary together.

Personally I see no harm in that.

I do. We're exactly what I think works best, a small community in which everyone knows everyone very well.

When branching out to look for more members you often find many people who we really do not need. Annoying, under 13 years of age, dyslexic, ect.
Back to top Go down

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:08 pm

We already have people in our community under 13 years old. We also have people who are dyslexic.. Thank you for making fun of them.

Regardless, you seem to forget that we won't be an "Open to all" clan.. Its not like we are going to drop all requirements to join.. Lets take DF for example.. We have a fairly decent level req. that each person interested in joining has to have at least met before they are permitted in the clan. The same would be brought over to each other game we expand to as we all see fit for that game. (For instance in Halo you may have to be a Captain Rank or higher.. or have beaten the game on Legendary. Something that gets rid of the underachievers on the game).

Also, we shouldn't forget there is this nifty thing called an admin on the website that will regulate the intake of members in our guild. You can't honestly say we haven't come across the kind of people you have described while only being a DF clan.. (Nemesis, DarkDiamond, I rest my case). The fact is there are just as many people like that as there are people who would be great additions to this website in the gaming world and it is cruel to deny them this. All the crappy gamers you fear taking over this site can be just as easily banned as they were allowed access into our ranks.
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Character Sheet

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 8:15 pm

I wanted different themes because I am getting bored of the black on red.
Back to top Go down

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 4:16 am

"group dressed in black that huddles in the corner not talking to anyone except themselves"

Heh. Thank you for noticing.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 4:00 pm

Havoc wrote:
We already have people in our community under 13 years old. We also have people who are dyslexic.. Thank you for making fun of them.

No we don't...
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 4:27 pm

We have people who claim to be dyslexic, and I'm not aware of anyone here who is under 13.
Back to top Go down
Uvana
Soldier
Uvana

Number of posts : 179

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 9:07 pm

The whole point is Havoc, you're making a change this clan isn't currently looking for. I made the same mistake many times. As Birkin has said many times, you're changing to become appealing to a player base we don't currently have, or really care about having. You're ignoring the opinions of 10 to appeal to 3. It won't end well and I advise you listen to the ten who disagree rather than continue blindly to try to appeal to those three.
Back to top Go down

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:28 pm

I'm not being blind and this isn't the change that is happening. My wish for change was brought up so I brought up how my fundamentals of my plan for change. The whole point of this topic is not Pest giving in to my change. It is Pest's wish to have multiple options for the sites layout. (Which I think I have discovered an easy fix to. Will talk about that later when I have more time on my hands.)

No.. The whole point of why I am "blindly" continuing on and on about why there should be change is because I have plenty of positive reasons of how it could make this website more fun to visit.. Website activity has slowly been dieing as of late (With a whopping 2 to 3 posts a day) and if people would learn to face their fears of change it could possibly better the site.

I think I've stated before that I don't want the site to turn into a gaming hub as some believe I wish it to be. No.. I want the site to become a lounge having a larger database of members and having a more content filled cafeteria and roleplay section. Now of course there would be people who play the same games together and they would form small groups in the guild. (Just like the dieing runescape group we have now. Might I point out its dead because there was a small amount of members and when the total of 5 members it had got bored of it it just kinda disappeared into the shadows of forgotten sections).

The reason we need a neutral name is to attract people from different areas of the internet. The largest area of attraction being in VIDEO GAMES (Which is why I always refer to video games in my posts. That is solely how we would attract members to our LEISURE none competitive guild we would have..

The whole point isn't the work towards a serious all powerful guild, its to work towards a larger group of people visiting this site. I, like you, don't want a bunch of 13 year olds in the guild;which is why they would be banned and a hidden age limit (meaning you won't know it existed until you have already told how old you are) to keep out young hoodlums.

Now of course we would also advertise through places like facebook, twitter, etc etc. (Which I personally believe would bring in more unwanted members then other games would)

But what it all boils down to is this: Whats wrong with taking something good and sharing it with the public? All you do is fear of corruption and pollution but in the end you will never know the turn out unless you try it. If anything it should be done as an experiment. To have a neutral named clan it would probably be required to have another website created with a website creator of our choosing. If the experiment fails, the UC people are the only ones who know about this website. We would simply return back to UC and I'd have to deal with a bunch of people saying "We told you so."
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:47 pm

Joyki wrote:
The whole point is Havoc, you're making a change this clan isn't currently looking for. I made the same mistake many times. As Birkin has said many times, you're changing to become appealing to a player base we don't currently have, or really care about having. You're ignoring the opinions of 10 to appeal to 3. It won't end well and I advise you listen to the ten who disagree rather than continue blindly to try to appeal to those three.

QFE

And Havoc, the RS clan isn't "dying" we just all took a break from the game at the same time. That, and Syn is never talking to us again on RS after being banned from the Clan Chat.

FFS man. Know your place here. Does anyone seem unhappy with the way things currently are? You're just being kind of annoying with all this talk of needless change.

Oh, and age doesn't = maturity. Kanden is far more mature than...various other members of this clan who exceed his age.
Back to top Go down

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 11:05 pm

I only added in the age limit because you were crying earlier about young little kids joining up..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dead end. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dead end.   Dead end. Empty

Back to top Go down

Dead end.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next