Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Crazed hootings

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

Crazed hootings Empty
PostSubject: Crazed hootings   Crazed hootings EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 5:03 am

So I was toiling away in the factory today, and as I always do when in the middle of something important, I went inside my head and began pondering at length the first topic that came to mind. Today that topic was RP.

Since SoS ran out of steam at page 40-something and died quietly in a corner as I picked my nose and made racist jokes, we've been lucky to shit out an RP that lasted longer than ten pages before someone was polite enough to wipe it up.

So I asked myself what the problem was, and two issues immediately stuck out:

1. We get tired of our characters, and therefore, the RP.
2. The RP takes too long and we grow bored, or we get bogged down by the more monotonous aspects of it, like travel and peaceful towns. And some of us just don't have the free time we had two and a half years ago.

Simply put, we either don't have the time, or don't have the will to keep up with a lengthy RP. Our most recent RP started with about 8 people. By page five, only half of those were actively posting. By page ten, It was a bum struggling naked in the streets, begging for someone to throw a post into its cup. Luckily, on page fifteen, some kind sharkowl curb-stomped the poor bum before it could start feeding on others.

So, what then? Some of you know I've been working on a new RP. In many ways it was meant to differ from previous endeavours, but it was still going to be long, and focus on the same group of characters throughout. I knew that it too would fizzle out in no time.

Well, I'm not quite ready to wash my hands of UC RP, so I decided to come up with a project that adresses the two aforementioned problems.

1. Players must not be restricted to a single character at a time.
2. The RP must take place in short bursts, and be set up in a way that doesn't mean game over if people start dropping out.

I plan for my next project to focus on an organization. It could be a Warrior's Guild, Adventurer's Guild, Magician's Guild, Guildsman's Guild, Templar Order, Some order of Knights, Town Watch, Mercenary Company, etc. etc. That'll be voted on later. I'm going to use Warrior's Guild as an example.

The main topic will be the "Guild Hall" where characters can freely move about and interact with each other. There will be no sign-ins. You will start out RP'ing your new character as he walks through the doors for the first time to join (If he is to be new) or returning from a lengthy quest for the first in a long time (if you wish to play a veteran-type character.) You can have as many characters as you please. If you wish to play as a different sort of character (IE, one who isn't a member of the "Guild") you will be able to do that in another place that I will go over later.

The first post will be sort of a "Notice Board" where all missions are posted. Missions can be a simple skirmish in town, a dungeon crawl, a minor quest, and just about anything else you can imagine, as long as it takes no longer than a week to finish, preferably less than that. Whenever a new mission is created, I will post as the scribe/mission source/frantic townsperson/some sort of announcer or indicator pointing out that there is indeed something going on in the world, after which it will be copied and added to the list of missions on the first post. If you wish to take part in a mission, you will post as one of your characters, essentially slamming down your ale and declaring that you're just the mean-ass bastard for the job. If one other person joins you, then it's game time. If not, I'd be willing to GM for you solo. Other people could jump in at any time, too. If you want to come up with your own mission, feel free to post somebody running into the Guild Hall, shouting something about dragons and needing help. Certainly don't leave it all up to poor old Trigger.

The second post will be a list of players, all the characters they control, and some basic info about each of them. There will be some "House" characters, IE, NPC Guild Members anyone can control at will, as well as some "VIP" characters, IE, the Guild Master and a few other important people that only I will be toying with.

The third post will be a memorial for all of the KIA and MIA characters. This might be added on to the second post instead.

The fourth post will be the library, which will be a big list of info, terms, necessary maps, and history.

The posts after that would be character introductions, and life in general around the Guild Hall.

Now let me talk about the World. I won't be making any world maps (though some smaller maps might be necessary for missions) as I want the world to be effectively infinite both in size and possibility. If we root our Guild Hall in one place, well that means we're stuck in one climate forever unless we feel like travelling, which never goes well, though I suppose we could skip it. I want us to be within walking distance of the shore, a desert, some mountains, some plains, a rainforest, 98 cities, 239 villages, 800 dungeons and special zones, 1809 bars, 280 brothels, some swamps, a dozen separate countries, and within a reasonable boat ride to some islands, and an arctic zone.

For every mission, there will be a new thread. Many missions we will be able to get through in a day. Some might take a bit longer. But a week seems to be about all we can muster before people start falling off the wagon. If you want to create a character who is not currently connected to the Guild, you will need to introduce him or her during a mission. Since you can create an infinite number of characters, feel free to kill them off at will. On the other hand, feel free to attach yourself to a single character and love him forever, as it is unlikely that player death will be imposed by the GM, though it will be if enough people want the RP to be a bit riskier. If by some chance the mission dies in mid-stride, it will abruptly end, and every character involved will be listed as MIA. You may be able to recover an MIA character later, but it is not guaranteed. Usually some sort of clever (not really) plot device will be introduced in order to explain why everyone suddenly vanished (A WIZARD POOFED US AWAY OMG), and the mission will be considered a failure.

There will also be new threads for when people wish to do things outside of the Guild Hall. Want to go get into a bar brawl? Make a thread. Want to stroll around the town? Make a thread. As stated before, people can jump in at will, and there's a good chance someone (me) will make something unexpected happen. Yeah, you can create non-guild characters in this sort of thread too, but it might take you a bit longer to encounter other RP'ers.

Alright I'm leaving a lot of stuff out for now. It's late, I'm tired, and my head hurts. But before I depart, let me make something clear. This shan't just be one continuous to-do list. Unpopular missions will be erased in time, though there could be consequences. If you ignore the bandits invading Wessenridge, don't be surprised if the next mission involving Wessenridge is less than pleasant. And there will be story. Loads of it, constantly changing. There just won't be one grand quest to undertake all at once, it'll happen bit by bit by bit, sort of like a tv show, or a book with several chapters.

Anyway, that's my time. I'll be expanding on this in a notebook throughout the summer. Look for this to get started in late August. I hope at least some of you are interested, because I don't see how RP around here can survive otherwise.

TL;DR : NEW RP COMING IN LATE AUGUST. LASTS FOREVER. YOU AREN'T BOUND TO ONE CHARACTER. THE ENVIRONMENT IS EXTREMELY VARIABLE. THE IMPORTANT PARTS HAPPEN IN SHORT BURSTS SO PEOPLE DON'T GET TIRED AND QUIT. PLENTY OF ROOM FOR INDIVIDUALITY, THOUGH IT IS EXPECTED THAT MOST OF YOUR CHARACTERS TIE-IN TO THE CENTRAL ORGANIZATION OR GROUP THAT THE RP WILL FOCUS ON.
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

Crazed hootings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazed hootings   Crazed hootings EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 10:52 am

Sounds like a good idea.

https://umbrellacorporation.forumotion.net/t183-sub-space-hotel

Because I said it first. D:<

It seemed like a good idea at the time, it was roughly around the time that I killed off Tinie in the original SoS. The exception was that we had awesome characters, and the thought of having such a memorable character in another RP was appealing at the time.

Just add in a renown system for continued characters, and I'll join it.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Number of posts : 272

Crazed hootings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazed hootings   Crazed hootings EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:58 pm

I see potential in this!
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Crazed hootings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazed hootings   Crazed hootings EmptyFri Jun 24, 2011 3:42 am

Pest02 wrote:
Sounds like a good idea.

https://umbrellacorporation.forumotion.net/t183-sub-space-hotel

Because I said it first. D:<

It seemed like a good idea at the time, it was roughly around the time that I killed off Tinie in the original SoS. The exception was that we had awesome characters, and the thought of having such a memorable character in another RP was appealing at the time.

!!!

*looks at Pest's topic*

*looks back at this topic*

*looks at Pest's topic*

*looks back at this topic*

D:<

*shoots Pest in the face*

GATHER YE ALL AROUND TRIGGER, WHO NEVER HAD AN UNORIGINAL THOUGHT IN HIS HEAD.

Quote :
Yes.
Back to top Go down
Austin Powers
The Bartender
The Bartender
Austin Powers

Number of posts : 72

Crazed hootings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazed hootings   Crazed hootings EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Count me in.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Number of posts : 272

Crazed hootings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazed hootings   Crazed hootings EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Oh snap I forgot about this topic until Austin posted in it just now. Yes, this sounds like it needs to happen.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

Crazed hootings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazed hootings   Crazed hootings EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 4:00 am

If it happens, it will be well after Havoc's RP has reached its conclusion. EVERYBODY RALLY AROUND HAVOC'S RP RIGHT NOW.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Crazed hootings Empty
PostSubject: Re: Crazed hootings   Crazed hootings Empty

Back to top Go down

Crazed hootings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mad Science Forums :: Public Area :: Roleplay-
Jump to: