Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Go down 
+5
Briar
Pest02
Trig
Wesker
Peng
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Empty
PostSubject: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 5:44 am

The game arrived, and like a child running downstairs for his christmas presents, I tore open the unassuming tan paper wrapping to find.....

The PS3 version.

There is no PS3 for 800 miles.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:46 pm

I got the special collector's edition, which came with 2 patches, 6 alternate costumes, 8 new guns, and a metal-book case with special artwork.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Sorry about this:

"LOL"
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Character Sheet

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Birkinborn wrote:
I got the special collector's edition, which came with 2 patches, 6 alternate costumes, 8 new guns, and a metal-book case with special artwork.

Same. I have some velcro, so I might sew it to the patch, and wear the patch on my uniform.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 9:25 pm

I was planning on doing that too for my cosplay outfit.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 5:06 pm

So, I thought I'd give you guys a little bit of a review of Operation Raccoon City and my own
opinions on the game itself. It won't be an encompassing review, just a general run down of
things, so with that, lets begin.

As you all know, Operation Raccoon City is set during the Raccoon Incident of 1998 and follows
a group of USS Soldiers known as Wolf Pack as they perform various missions for Umbrella
throughout the outbreak. There are six playable characters that make up Wolf Pack, and each
sports a different character class as well as their own unique set of special abilities. This will be
expanded to be around 10 characters with the addition of Heroes Mode DLC that will be out in
a few weeks and will include classic characters such as Leon S Kennedy, Claire Redfield, Jill
Valentine and Carlos Olivera.

When you begin the game you select your campaign settings. You can play a private game,
where you can play solo or invite friends, or you can play public where you can invite strangers
to play. The rest of the options are variations of this. Once you've selected your campaign you're
taken into the character select screen. Here you can select your character, their active abilities,
their primary weapon and their secondary weapon. Once you've made your decision, you get
taken into the game itself.

Though I've never played Gears Of War (or many shooters for that matter), from just a glance
one can tell the game handles much like that. So I won't spend much time talking about how
the game controls. Instead, let me talk to you about some of the differences between this game
and past resident evil games.

Unlike past resident evil games, ORC doesn't have an inventory. Instead you have a sort of quick
selection of items that are hot-keyed to your D-Pad. These items are: First Aid Sprays, Anti-Viral
Sprays, and 3 types of grenade. The Up button on the D-pad is either unused or used for special
abilities of certain characters. Items such as Ammo and Green Herbs are consumed automatically,
and you can only carry one primary weapon at a time, so there isn't really a need for an inventory
system.

While Resident Evil 4 and 5 flirted with the concept of Melee Combat, ORC expands on it a little and
makes it a versatile and most important, practical. Combat equates to button mashing the O button,
and the faster you hit it, the more strikes you perform. You can attack in any direction you want and
if you attack with O and hold it, you'll grapple your target. If you grab a Zombie, you automatically
use them as a meat shield. If you grab a soldier, you drop them to their knees and can finish them
with an execution shot to the head. Both are quite gratifying considering how nasty combat can get.
B.O.W's can't be grappled from what I can tell, but melee does deal damage, though probably not
sufficient enough to survive the experience depending on the B.O.W.

The game also features a sort Leveling system. At the end of each level your performance is graded
based on a number of factors. From enemies killed, number of times you've died, that sort of thing.
You'll get a number of experience points based on your grade that can be used to buy new weapons,
passive and active abilities, and a number of other goodies. You can gain additional experience points
by collecting data disks, hacking laptop computers, destroying security cameras, locating trophies and
finding Type Writers that are hidden within each stage. Finding these also unlocks items in the gallery.

You're probably wondering by now what I think about the game as a whole. Is it good? Is it as terrible
as everyone says it is? Well, yes and no. The game is far from perfect, but I don't think its nearly as
bad as many claim it to be. Some of the issues I've come across include poor hit detection, terrible
partner A.I, but most damning would probably be the single player difficulty. The game was clearly
meant to be played for its multiplayer game, however its unfortunate that Saint 6 let this carry over
into the single player campaign. Even on its easiest setting, even when using some of the strongest
weapons available, the single player game is incredibly hard at parts and can be very punishing given
the poor partner a.i.

Technical issues aside, the game itself doesn't feel very inspired of innovative. We don't get to visit
many, if any new locations in Raccoon City, just famous locations that were given a new coat of paint
for the old school fans. That was one thing that made the outbreak series worth playing, all the new and
different locations that we didn't get to check out in previous games. If only Saint 6 had taken a similar
route.

So is there anything good about this game? Yea, of course there is! The nostalgia value is high in this
game. Most of the locations you'll be visiting in this game are ones from your favorite games: The RPD,
the Raccoon City Hospital, the labs beneath the streets, the power plants, and all of it is remastered with
up-to-date graphics and design. You'll be running into familiar faces, like Claire and Leon, Ada Wong and
HUNK. This game really shines when you're playing multiplayer with a bunch of friends and will really
change your perspective of the game as a whole, and with additional DLC on its way, hopefully we'll
have new characters, new locations and new enemies to fight!

I won't lie, when I first started playing this game, I was a bit disappointed. I wasn't enjoying the game
because of the punishing difficulty of the game and as time went on, all the negative aspects that I heard
other people bitch about began popping up in my head every time I died, but that changed when I played
with my friend James. Playing with a second player makes the gameplay not only tolerable, but FUN. It's
just the right amount of challenge and it promotes team work! If you have to judge this game on anything,
judge it on its multiplayer after playing a few rounds with a couple of friends.

This game isn't going to be for everyone and I can definitely see why a lot of people are complaining. It
isn't like any Resident Evil game you've played before, but that in itself isn't a bad thing. The only thing
I could do in good faith is to suggest you guys give it a rental before actually buying the game. If you like
it, then go out and buy it, if not, you're at least not wasting too much money. If I had to give the game a
score, I'd say its a 3 out of 5 for single player and a 3.5 out of 5 for multiplayer. That may increase with
the release of DLC content. :3

My PSN I.D is Damien_Talon, if you wanna play, hit me up on here, facebook or on aim at berserkfhurer.
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Character Sheet

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Question: Split screen co-op? The game I have makes it sound like a 'No.'
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:12 pm

No, no split screen co-op, sad to say.
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Character Sheet

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 12:22 am

I figured as much. I'm getting a PS3 on leave, my PSN should be Pest02. I look forward to zombie killing with you, Birk.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 1:01 am

Uurah! I look forward to it too Cheesy
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:23 am

Disappointed to hear no split screen co-op, as this means I will most likely never have the opportunity to try the game and possibly be compelled to buy it.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 am

Seriously, fuck games with multiplayer but NO splitscreen. Splitscreen games made me who I am today. Anyway, I should have a job soon, so I may be compelled to buy a PS3. If I do, this'll be the first game on my list.
Back to top Go down
Briar
Shotgun Surgeon
Briar

Number of posts : 80

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons:
Items:

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 2:21 pm

Pest needs to get back so I can play it. It sounds pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 5:03 pm

How many people will kill Leon's punk-ass?
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 5:40 pm

A lot, from what I've gathered. I've killed him once, but gawddamn its hard. Its so much easier to defend him.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 5:42 pm

Whiskey Rose wrote:
Pest needs to get back so I can play it. It sounds pretty cool.

Pest and I have already made plans to play Co-Op on the net, so who knows, maybe we'll get to team up, too!

You get the chance to fill me full of lead again Cheesy
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 pm

I have a job. PS3 imminent.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 1:28 am

So I've been playing the Spec Ops mission. Haven't beaten it yet, cause its giving me a few
challenges I've yet to overcome, but I thought I'd give you my impression of it. :3

So, this time you're playing through the events of Operation Raccoon City, but instead you'e
put in the role of Echo Six, the special operations unit that is essentially the good version of
Wolfpack. Your team consists of Party Girl, Tweed, Willow, Dee-Ay, Shona and Harley. They
share the same character classes as their USS counterparts, including their perks and abilities.
Kind of pissed me off that I had to unlock their abilities, too. So you're essentially paying for
the same exact abilities twice, bleh. >.>

The first mission (what I played of it) was interesting. We arrive in the city some time after
the outbreak has occurred, none of my team are aware of what the hell is going on, other
than there is some sort of illness running amok. Our team scouts the area and starts down
an alley way when a sickly figure stumbles out in front of a downed spotlight. "She doesn't
look to well" Party Girl comments before striding towards what is obviously a zombie. After
the zombie grabs you, weapons are live, authorization to attack is given and all hell breaks
loose.

We battle our way through the streets, taking out zombies, crimson heads and cerberus
alike, until we finally make it out onto main street where we run into a familiar face! It's
none other than Jill Valentine! and she's not alone... Nemesis is there, too. A brief skirmish
ensues and you, along with your team escape with Jill.

Jill eventually parts ways with Echo Six and the team eventually finds themselves on the
top of an apartment building. Bellow them is Nemesis and a platoon of USS Grunts and
an epic battle ensues. This is where I had to stop, the difficulty is just, punishing at this
part... You have Nemesis with his Gatling Gun hammering at you. You've got a sniper on
the opposing roof, and you got several assault rifle wielding grunts shooting at you from
the ground floor. As if THAT wasn't bad enough, a horde of crimson heads break into
the building and close in on your ass on the roofs.. You have a sniper rifle, a grenade
launcher, 2 small piles of ammo and 1 health item on that roof, and needless to say,
you blow through it all fast.

What makes it so difficult isn't all of the shit being thrown at you. I mean, yea it's a lot
but you can handle it no problem. You take out the crimson heads first, then the sniper
and then the grunts. That just leaves you and Nemesis. No, what makes things hard is
the setting. The roof is set up in a way that you have to get close to the edge of the
roof in order to properly damage Nemesis, but at the same time doesn't offer you any
kind of cover from Nemesis firepower. You can technically get down to ground level,
where there is more ammo and health items, but you're even more open to danger.
Gah...

I look forward to seeing what other trials Echo Six will face during the course of the
game :3 I only hope the DLC isn't too expensive... =\ I've already paid too much for
this game as is...
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 3:59 pm

Quote :
You have Nemesis with his Gatling Gun hammering at you. You've got a sniper on
the opposing roof, and you got several assault rifle wielding grunts shooting at you from
the ground floor. As if THAT wasn't bad enough, a horde of crimson heads break into
the building and close in on your ass on the roofs.. You have a sniper rifle, a grenade
launcher, 2 small piles of ammo and 1 health item on that roof, and needless to say,
you blow through it all fast.

Sounds like my original Raccoon City CYOA. I haven't thought of that bitch in years.

I'm doing my best to muster up a good zombie mood so I can veg out on orc for like, a week. Unfortunately although a PS3 is likely imminent, I doubt I'll get it anytime soon.

also wat? Notfree DLC within a month of release? AGAIN?

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City I_dont10

Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 9:54 pm

The fuck you talking bout Trig? The dlc is totes free.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Oh. Well still, fuck them for something intolerable.
Back to top Go down
Tool
Survivor
Tool

Number of posts : 22

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons:
Items:

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 10:59 pm

The game while mildly fun through multiplayer is far far far from being a descent RE game.It does somewhat satisfy those nostalgic senses but other than that it's not really fun.Gameplay is horrible,you miss half the time even when aiming right at the guy.I was really looking forward to this game,I am really hating the gaming industry these days a lot of good titles are rushed for sake of sales and totally ditching quality.
Back to top Go down
Briar
Shotgun Surgeon
Briar

Number of posts : 80

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons:
Items:

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 1:55 am

Outbreak had perfect Co-Op. But they took the winning formula, crushed the hopes beneath the 4th one, and burned it alive with 5.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 2:28 am

Tool does have a bit of a valid argument. The aiming on this game is slightly off. If you try
to aim with the laser, rather than the on-screen marker, you're gonna miss more often. This
is mostly true for the assault rifle-weapons, as the handguns have the laser sights under the
barrel, so its a little more accurate.

The game has its mechanical flaws, but I believe those will be patched later on.

Outbreaks only real problem was that Capcom made the mistake of being money grubbers
rather than smart. They should have released Outbreak 1 and 2 as a whole title, rather than
to release them as separate titles.

Co-Op in ORC Seems fine to me, I certainly have no complaints. So I can't compare it to the
outbreak series of games. I will say that their A.I is generally just as clunky and useless, with
the exception that ORC's seems to be more focused on helping you out when you need it. I
recall a lot of times where Outbreaks A.I was darwin award-winning levels of stupid... x.x
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Character Sheet

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 6:30 am

Pest02 is taken. Burn the heretic.

I am Vicindio. Let's play gentlemen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City   Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City Empty

Back to top Go down

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next