Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Obscure

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Obscure   Obscure EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Some video games are just plain terrible. They add in too many useless puzzles, kill off characters that would normally have survived what they went through, and then leave a bad ending.

The game that I got most of these from is 'Obscure: The Aftermath'. Well, it's sort of like Silent Hill. Monsters are running around without a reason. I will describe the plot.

The first thing you have to do to advance the plot is unlock a safe to get a gun. Now that you have that gun, give it to Player 2(in my case the computer) that follows you around, and you never have to worry about getting hurt. There is 9mm ammo everywhere, and the comp shoots anything that is about to hit you.

Eventually, you have to find one of the 6 characters' sister. When you find her, you either shoot the monster that is holding her, where she gets tossed down into the basement, where you arrive too late and find her corpse, or you don't fight the monster that killed her and find her corpse.

The brother of the goth chick mutates into some freak, sister gains dark powers.

Characters split up. No matter how far they go, they still share the same items.

Sven, a Norwegian hockey player, gets knocked unconscious by Leatherface a chainsaw toting deformed freak. He then gets impaled on a spike and is cut down by the freak before it makes an exit. I used this guy not five minutes earlier to move a vending machine to find the sisters body. He can't survive being punched in the face without passing out?

Innocent Blond, the reason Sven died, was kidnapped by mutated party member. You find her curled up in a ball without knowledge of what happened. You find out she was raped.

Other sister is killed by a mutated other party member. Boyfriend of sister is injured. Goth chick, Skater boy, injured boyfriend, Blond still alive. NPC teacher gives items and info periodically.

You have to go find a way to cut a chain, when a bullet would easily break it. You have to go though a fifteen minute maze and find some bolt cutters.

Boys kill chainsaw guy and evil tree(?). Chainsaw fight between small electric chainsaw and logging chainsaw. Electric one wins.

Party tricked by teacher, all stripped of items. You now run from the monsters that were so easy to kill earlier.

Skater boy and goth chick find out that the president is part of it. They soon find all items, with all electric devices stripped. They even find items they did not previously own. (Dynamite?!?)

Injured boyfriend finds mutated party member, kills self because of loss of girlfriend. This caused me to shout at the game. I needed that bullet.

Kill mutated party member. Teacher escapes with Blond in helicopter. Helicopter blows up, Skater boy and goth girl go to kill whatever was in the heli. Credits roll.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Number of posts : 272

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Pest02 wrote:
Some video games are just plain terrible. They add in too many useless puzzles, kill off characters that would normally have survived what they went through, and then leave a bad ending.

That just screamed Resident Evil 4 to me.

But that game you were talking about sounds pretty bad.
Back to top Go down

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 10:49 pm

Resident Evil 4 was a good game!!

Just...sucked as a Resident Evil game >.>
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyWed Dec 17, 2008 10:52 pm

It was a good game. But it had useless puzzles, killed off a random character, and had a terrible ending.

Just as Pest said!
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 7:53 am

Penguin Hunter wrote:
It was a good game. But it had useless puzzles, killed off a random character, and had a terrible ending.

Just as Pest said!

Puzzles are a good thing sometimes. In my opinion, there were not too many in RE4, but not too little. I thought it was an amazing game.
Back to top Go down
SettingSun
Soldier
SettingSun

Number of posts : 111

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Resident Evil 4 was a good game as games go, however it was SUCKY as a Resident Evil game.

However, if you want to talk about games that are frustrating, go get Fallout off the Internet, crank the difficulty up, and watch as Ian and Dogmeat (best dog ever, btw) get ripped to pieces by the enemy fire that they weathered so easily before.
...That or play Left 4 Dead on Expert with three idiots that think the only weapon worth using is the UZI..........
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 1:37 pm

True, it was more of a shooter... But It was an AMAZING shooter.

Can't wait for RE5, although I sorta hope it's the last one. There are only so many games you can make of the same series before it gets boring.
Back to top Go down

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 6:48 pm

I actuallly hope they finish off things with Wesker and Chris in this one, then move onto one more game to finish off with Spencer and either Wesker or Chris...whoever survives RE5 >.>
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Spencer...is...dead?
Isn't he the Crimson Head you fight after putting the 4 death masks in in REmake?
Back to top Go down

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 8:19 pm

No.

I forgot who that is, but can easily figure it out, if you want.
Back to top Go down
SettingSun
Soldier
SettingSun

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyThu Dec 18, 2008 10:18 pm

Please do.
Back to top Go down

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 11:52 am

Rumoured to be George Trevor. I believe it's just some random poor sap, though.
Back to top Go down
SettingSun
Soldier
SettingSun

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 12:53 pm

Random poor saps always get the short end of the stick.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Jarki wrote:
Rumoured to be George Trevor. I believe it's just some random poor sap, though.

*Slaps head* I have no idea why I thought Spencer!
I remember hearing it was Lisa's father (George Trevor is her father I assume)
Back to top Go down
SettingSun
Soldier
SettingSun

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 7:33 pm

Lisa Trevor, George Trevor... I see what you did there Tongue
Back to top Go down

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 1:02 pm

OH BOY! TIME FOR THREAD NECROMANCY JUST TO SPITE!

The first ObsCure was a fun little game. Was quite the romp if you had a second player to enjoy it with.

The second one took away the main mechanic of the first one (light hurting the critters) in lieu of forcing you to use certain characters at certain times. It wasn't BAD, per se. But it wasn't nearly as good as the first.
Back to top Go down

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 1:09 pm

Oh gawd, he's raising the dead again! And he doesn't even need a virus! D:

Quick! Someone kill him before he puts us out of business! Or at least capture him in a poke-ball, so that we may harness his mystical powers and rule the world! And defeat the elite four!
Back to top Go down
Synyster Gates
Harbinger of Words 2.0
Synyster Gates

Number of posts : 92

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 2:01 pm

I want to get this game. I heard of Obscure 2 coming out for PSP, and I was like "WELL WHERE IS OBSCURE 1!?!?!?"

I then heard it was for PS2, and was planning on buying it soon.

And I didn't even know this topic has been here for 6 months now, but thanks for ruining the plot Pesty!!!

But I'm still going to buy Obscure for PS2 and PSP.

And as for puzzles in games, I love them. Tons of them. Especially in survival horror games. This is the reason why Silent Hill 3 is my favorite survival horror. The quantity of the puzzles were immense, and the difficulty really had me stumped for long periods of time. I prefer to test my brain when I'm playing games, rather than run through killing zombies. After Silent Hill 3, the puzzles in Silent Hill started to go down in difficulty. And Resident Evil was never hard to begin with. If Obscure has difficult puzzles, I'm totally, 100% going to buy and play them.

The world needs more survival horror games with difficult puzzles.
Back to top Go down

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 3:35 am

The puzzles are alright in both. I liked them better in the first, because you could play through as any combination of characters and not really have missed out on anything or been prevented from advancing. The second one basically forces you to play as certain characters to utilize their special abilities to get around (which bugged me). If you can get your hands on the first one, please do so. It's the better game by far. Not to say the second one was bad, of course.

I actually wrote a review for ObsCure 2 which was awarded 'Review of the Month' status over at GameFAQS.

You can read it here.

Shameless plug.
Back to top Go down
Synyster Gates
Harbinger of Words 2.0
Synyster Gates

Number of posts : 92

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 2:45 pm

...I read that review! A few months ago when I first heard of Obscure.

That star next to the review draws you in...
Back to top Go down

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure EmptyFri Jun 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Heh. Yeah. If I played more new games to completion when they're still "new," I'd write more reviews.

The funny thing is, when you get review of the month, they are supposed to send you some gift card for Amazon. I never got my gift card.

*Rant*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Obscure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure   Obscure Empty

Back to top Go down

Obscure
Page 1 of 1