Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Alien: Colonial Marines

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

Alien: Colonial Marines Empty
PostSubject: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 4:39 pm

Warning: Gigantic wall of text bellow. if you don't wanna read it all, check out the
summary at the bottom of the page: Oorah

As some of you might have noticed, I've re-written my original post to better express
and reflect my thoughts on this title. Given time and experience with the game, my
initial thoughts on them have changed quite a bit. First and foremost, no, I don't think
this game is as good as I thought it was when I first began playing it, nor is it as bad as
I believed it to be regarding the information I've obtained about its current state and
the tumultuous history behind its development. It's an average game at best and at
its worst, plain and simple.

Aliens: Colonial Marines was published by Sega and developed by Gearbox, and like, 4
other companies. It's one of the first, if only game in the series to be considered a cannon
sequel to Aliens. The game begins 17 weeks after the events of Aliens. You play a marine
corporal named Christopher Winters. Your squadron received the distress signal from the
crew of the Sulaco and have been sent in to see what became of the Sulaco's crew and to
assist the remaining marines of Rhino Squadron. Upon arriving at the coordinates, the
marines mysteriously find that the Sulaco has some how been put back into orbit above
LV-426 instead of Fury-161.

The mystery deepens when Winters boards the Sulaco and is tasked with retrieving the
last remaining survivors of Rhino, and as he begins to explore the dark and eerie halls
of the Sulaco, not all is as it seems.

The game is your standard FPS, nothing we haven't seen before, though there are some
standard mechanics that seem to be lacking in this title that have otherwise become a
standard in most modern shooters. The game handles well enough to serve its purpose,
but its not on par with Call of Duty.

The single player campaign runs for 11 stages and depending on how good you are, will
take you around 6 to 8 hours to complete, give or take an hour or two. The game can be
quite frustrating at times due to problems in the programming. There is some replay value
to the single player campaign, however, as there are legendary artifacts and collectibles
all throughout the stages. There are also challenges that you can complete in order to unlock
modifications that you can use to improve your weapons and to personalize both your marine
and your xenomorphs in the multiplayer section.

Each weapon has a number of modification modules that can be purchased and used to give
the weapon different functions and can be carried over into the multiplayer game, giving you
a slight edge over the standard loadout of weapons. That being said. legendary weapons can't
be modified and are otherwise better in some ways to standard upgraded weapons.

While the single player campaign leaves a lot to be desired, it isn't all terrible. While we don't
have the gorgeous graphics that we saw in the 2011 demo of the game, what we do have is
still good in its own right and can still pull off that creepy atmosphere that you get from the
movies. The environments are still quite awe inspiring and very creepy and some of the level
designs are fantastic, especially the sewer level when you're stripped of your weapons and have
to escape without drawing attention by the xenomorphs.

The music and sound design is really good, too. The weapons sound like they do in the movies,
as do the xenomorphs. the music is really good in spots as well, but the voice acting is a bit hit
and miss at times. The only really bad things I could think of with single player is that the story
doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and considering it was written by the guys behind Battle Star
Galactica, that's pretty pathetic... The enemy A.I is all but worthless. Xenos aren't the stealth
killers that we see in the movies, instead they just zergrush, and while this is effective in some
cases, it makes them easy kills.
Spoiler:

Single player aside, the game really shines in its multiplayer section, and while I feel that its
entirely unfair that Gearbox put all their best efforts into the multiplayer section (like many
other companies tend to do...), the multiplayer section is easily the best part of the game.

The game comes with four different games to play: Death Match. Extermination. Escape and
Survival. In Extermination, 2 teams of 4 (Marines Vs Xenomorphs) complete against one
another. Marines must go to various points on the map to destroy nests of eggs while the
xenomorphs try to stop them. In Escape the roles are reversed. A squad of marines try to
escape to various extraction points on the map while the xenomorphs try to kill them.

Survival mode is similar to Black Ops Zombies. A team of marines must survive as long as
they can in a single location, using various environmental elements to help secure their area
while fending off teams of xenomorphs. Marines dying in this mode and in Escape will not
respawn, while Aliens will.

In all modes, matches are made up of two rounds, with teams switching sides at the end of
each round. Experience, challenges and ranks earned in multiplayer carries over to single
player and vice versa.

You can customize both your marine and your xenomorph's appearance that carries over in
to multiplayer matches, and there's a fair amount of customization that can be performed,
both in terms of appearance but as well as weapon and ability loadouts. Some of the aliens
you can make look wicked as hell and you can personalize the way they perform and the
various special attacks and abilities they have.

Lastly I wanna talk about the controversy surrounding this game. Fans and critics alike
are panning this game with a burning passion, and some of the things they're angry about
are very valid. The most obvious thing so far is the differences between the demo released
in 2011 and the final product. The game we have now looks nothing like the game they
showed us in the demo. Graphics, dynamic lighting effects and Physic elements have
severely been downgraded from what they previewed in the demo. Entire sections of
the game have been altered or outright removed completely from the game. Enemy A.I
is retarded to the point of facepalm inducing and animations are blocky at best.

There are superficial problems that are being patched at the moment, but the majority
of the complaints about the game are likely to never be addressed. For those of us who
own the console versions, we're pretty much SOL, but if you intend to play this game
on your PC, fret not, as many of the more skilled fans in the series are working on not
only repairing the games coding, but in getting the most out of the graphics, and it won't
be long before they'll probably get their hands on level creating equipment.

The main thing everyone is asking right now is what the hell happened to the game.
There's no shortage of rumors going around right now, but they're just that, rumors.
So far GearBox hasn't said shit and what Sega has said has been very little and nothing
specific.

This post is already long enough, so if you're curious about the rumors, you won't have
any trouble finding sources on it. What it comes boils down to is that, Gearbox spent
time and resources given to them by Sega to create in house titles and to finish duke
nukem forever instead of developing Aliens: Colonial Marines. Instead, they outsourced
the majority of the game to other companies, and what we got in return was a subpar
overall title.

[Oorah]

So in case most of you didn't read any of this, at least read this part. Yes, the single player
game sucks, the graphics aren't what they should have been, and we've probably lost a few
levels, but overall, its not the worst single player campaign ive seen. The orgasmic story
we were promised is shit, but all that aside, the multiplayer is pretty good and definitely
where the game is the strongest. I wouldn't recommend going out and buying it at retail
price, though. Rent this title or wait for it to come out on steam for a cheaper price. You
will be getting a better product for a decent price.

The one exception I can make is the pc version, as there is already a dedicated fanbase
working on not only improving the games graphics, but its stability and mechanics
through modifications and will most likely be the best way to experience the game as
a whole.

Last edited by W.Birkin on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 10:48 pm

From what I've seen of the finished product, the game is kind of like F.E.A.R in that it's really not scary, at least to me.

The demo, which the game departs from on major elements, looked like a first-person Dead Space; Creepy when it wants to be, and that you need to take certain precautions regarding enemies & killing them.

Even with the supposed change in atmosphere, I'm still on the fence.

I'm just more firmly situated on that fence, now.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:09 pm

Eeeeeeh I might give it a rent. Alien games tend to disappoint. ]:
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 11:09 am

I watched a video recently of an AI Marine unloading two magazines at a wall.

Also, Trigger you fagit get out of my fandom.

Just kidding, I love you. Stay if you want. Wink
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Tai "Ash-Kicker" Kamiya wrote:
I watched a video recently of an AI Marine unloading two magazines at a wall.

Also, Trigger you fagit get out of my fandom.

Just kidding, I love you. Stay if you want. Wink

That would be O'Neil. He's with you through out the entire game save for 1 stage.
He's completely and utterly USELESS. He has the smartgun, one of the best weapons
in the game and yet he can't seem to hit SHIT with it. That is, when he's not running
ahead of you by 40 leagues or getting stuck and shit. I've seen only one LolAlien, and
that was in the the later stages, otherwise they just zergrush you.

Alien: Colonial Marines Gbxsig10

We at least know what happens to the lil guy above now, he gets shot and killed by
AngryJoe
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 pm

You'd think people would understand by now that the most crippling thing to gameplay is having an NPC being needed to progress past certain points, but the NPC is stuck 3 miles back shooting rockets into trashcans.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I really don't even understand why he's needed there in the first place.. i mean,
if it were to make it so you don't get swarmed all the time, I could see that, but
the shit is, you do anyway, 95% of the time, the xenos target you and only you,
and their tactic is to zergrush. The only reason this works some of the times is
because there are usually a lot of them.

Whats worse is, if you play with a friend, it becomes a three-some. The co-op
player doesnt take the role of oneil, they're just another unnamed marine, so
now you have 2 intelligent players being followed by retarded a.i.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 8:51 pm

If any of you care to hear, here's whats been going on with this whole fiasco.

So its been about 12 days since A:CM released and well, people have been asking
what the fuck happened to the title between the 2011 demo and the final product,
and several anonymous individuals have stepped out of the murky depths of the
internet abyss to answer that, and though they've provided proof enough to give
their words credence, there's no way to know 100% for sure if they're who they
claim to be or what they say is true without them coming out of the dark and
possibly opening themselves up to legal ramifications, so we have to take what
they say with a grain of salt.

However, its interesting to note that of the individuals who came forward, all
that they've said has only further corroborated what the other have said to
a T. So, who knows.

Rather than type all of this shit myself, I'm just going to link you to a few of
the more compelling articles, as well as the original articles that started it all.

The original reddit post that started it all

Timegate and Gearbox worked "horizontally" on project

Supposedly, gearbox embezzeled money sega gave them for A:CM to fund other games

Anonymous dev claimed gearbox lied to sega to keep funds rolling in for development

Sega denies claims that gearbox outsourced game to timegate

Why are so many people confused on who made A:CM?

Timegate resumes show A LOT of work was done on A:CM

Anonymous sega developer claims sega knew the game would be bad & allowed customers to pay to recoup their losses

Alien: Colonial Marines Abtxe3
Back to top Go down
Havoc
Tragically Insane
Havoc

Number of posts : 75

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 1:55 pm

looool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alien: Colonial Marines   Alien: Colonial Marines Empty

Back to top Go down

Alien: Colonial Marines
Page 1 of 1