Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Site Expansion

Go down 
+11
HellBlaze
Untersturmführer Alvarez
fatalitywolf
Synyster Gates
Z 1
Pest02
Warhero30
Trig
Buckaroo Banzai
Konstantine
Wesker
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 4:05 am

Here is an idea. Why don't we expand? Instead of being just Umbrella, a DF communiyy, why don't we pick up a neutral name for the clan and extend our reach to all consoles and games alike? Sure we have a gamer section but I think we should outreach.

Example: I would love to advertise us to friends on halo and team up on halo. However the site focuses only on DF so why should they be interested? If we start anew with a neutral name (a name that could be used for a clan in all games and not based towards one genre) who knows the possibilities? Personally I see it as a great idea to increase our popularity and flexbility. The only problem I see is the task might be to great.. An unachievanle utopia if you will.

However I strongly believe if we can put aside our differences and hate for each other (if there is a case in which hate resides) then we could pull it off. This of course would demand a bit more admins with different fields of specialization. (Maybe an administrator for each game we play? If so I pick halo!)

Either way this is something to think about..
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 9:48 am

Change forums? But I've grown so attached to this one.
Back to top Go down
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

Number of posts : 76

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 5:58 pm

I really do love this forum, but expansion wouldn't be too bad. if there is more interest, perhaps we could start talking options?
Back to top Go down
HellBlaze
Soldier
HellBlaze

Number of posts : 119

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 8:27 pm

I was thinking tabs that take us to the separate forums. This could also help our DF group get more members and such that play the other games. But to what extent can this free (as far as I know) site go to? Is expansion possible? If so it will take a hell of a lot of work.

Overall I support the idea. And I agree that havoc should get his much wanted admin-ship. If something happens we can always fix it unless it wipes the site from existence in which we will have to rebuild it. But I am sure that won't happen. (That was random rambling)

And I agree with buck. I mean we have skype, but a voice chat directly on our site would be great. Or if not then a better chat box.
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 7:41 am

Onward to the next question at hand!

Would we use the same free forums we have been using? If we could make an ACTUAL site we could get paid to put a small bit of advertisements on it and have one admin as our treasurer and use said money for further guild expansion. (Not It.. Too much responsibility for me starting college. Although I'd be glad to help design the site. I won first place in a website design contest in Mississippi as well as design this site. That is my only background in that field though.)

It constantly occurs to me that this feet is a near impossibility but this is the single dream I posses to see something I helped create ascend.

P.S. Not to mention if we were making a profit from the advertisements (we shouldn't add too many and they should be discrete) the admins of the new clan (or should I say guild.. Or colony even) might actually receive real wages. *gasp*
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Tried that before. Even offered to pay. Didn't work.

Also, it wouldn't work like you're thinking anyway.
Back to top Go down
Konstantine
Badass
Badass
Konstantine

Number of posts : 19

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 5:03 pm

Websites suck at making money. It's a known fact. Even when loaded with advertisements for select male organ enlargements.
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 3:42 pm

HellBlaze wrote:

Overall I support the idea. And I agree that havoc should get his much wanted admin-ship.

What say the rest of ye to this?
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Sure.
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:19 pm

I say nay.

Money to run a site doesn't work too well.
Back to top Go down
HellBlaze
Soldier
HellBlaze

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 6:59 pm

I say we try to work with what we have. But as I said, that can only go so far.
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 8:55 pm

Advertisment to make money for our site was only a mear dream. In reality this is the way I see it. Using the same forum that UC was created with, we can create a main website. Then after it's completion we would link it to more sites of our creation. These off linking sites of course would be the main sites for each game. However if we do this I see most people visiting the main site aswell thus making it extremely active.

Also Havoc trial two is in session. Currently there are two votes yes and one vote no. If you vote no however I ask you to please put the reason afterwards.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 1:17 am

Sorry, but how did this go from a question of modship into making money?
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyMon Aug 09, 2010 1:57 am

Simple. I go off topic very easily.
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 1:10 am

I suppose we might as well just say fuck the idea.. If all the admins schedules are too hectic for them to reply or comment about the expansion of the site, then it is made obvious they won't be able to take any course of action because they don't have time or simply don't care to better our community..

Am I right or am I wrong..?

You would think a leader would jump at the very real possibility of both expanding their site and increasing their amount of members. I guess that I was wrong about that..
Back to top Go down
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 3:16 am

You're not talking about me as a leader expanding 'my' amount of members. I play DF. That is what I play. I am not interested in a PS3 clan, Xbox clan, or any other clan, other than a DF clan. I have completely avoided the RP section, and the other games sections because of my complete lack of interest in them.

If you were to have a 'total' leader, it would be someone who, ideally, was completely invested in the workings of all the sub clans within UC. That is just 'one' of the many problems we will face if we try to implement a multi-platform clan like that.
Back to top Go down
HellBlaze
Soldier
HellBlaze

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:04 am

Topic being moved to cafeteria.
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:06 am

Maybe with time Havoc. Right now, I couldn't see it happening. As I'd like to see us increase into a larger, more widespread clan across gaming as a whole, we don't have very many members. When DF 3D comes out, we're bound to get a storm of them. If we do get around to doing it, I think we could assign different leaders to different sub-clans, but with limited power among other parts of the clan.

What do the rest of you think of it?
Back to top Go down
fatalitywolf
Lord of Wolves
fatalitywolf

Number of posts : 164

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:12 am

it is possable to make money from advertisement on websites not alot but it will go to help pay for said website
Back to top Go down
HellBlaze
Soldier
HellBlaze

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 am

We will have to plan it with time, as you said. The idea is a mere idea still. A good one at that, in my opinion.

I was thinking having a main site (probably already mentioned by someone) and having links to the other forums. Although I would much love this to still be the main one....
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:18 am

How about, no main site, we just have a page titled "Links" on each forum, with links to all of our sub-clans? Seems to work better in my eyes, and we aren't putting any part of the clan ahead of any other.
Back to top Go down
HellBlaze
Soldier
HellBlaze

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:36 am

Well, it will take time. And I have no clue how to really work this site.
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:37 am

Well, I have history of working with/making forums before, but it's not nearly as good as someone else could do.
Back to top Go down
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 7:09 pm

I know my tech, I can help with any of the nuts and bolts that we need to do. I know Pest has played with it a lot, and Havoc knows his shit.

It would not be an issue as far as setup if we decide to split the forums. I have an idea in my head and if it fits with what Havoc is thinking, we should be able to get the work done in under a couple of days once we decide on hosting and everything.

Paying for hosting by using advertising is always a tough one. I have a buddy of mine who makes money with his google advertising account, but they get 2k+ clicks a day. We'd need a lot of traffic to break even with just adverts.

Launching the UC out into the world as a multi-platform clan would either mean 1: we link in with all the other 'Umbrella Corporation' clans out there, or 2: we re-brand the clan. That's a big step. Clans are built on great members and a good philosophy, but they get new recruits by having a great name. As far as DF, I want to remain 'The Umbrella Corporation.', but I'd like to open the floor for suggestions to a proper name for the main site.
Back to top Go down

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion EmptySat Aug 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Me, austin, and z are currently underway producing a xbox 360 clan going under the name The Faceless Legion. It is possible if accepted by a mass voting that this name could be the main sites name? tis my suggestion
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Site Expansion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Site Expansion   Site Expansion Empty

Back to top Go down

Site Expansion
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next