Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Ramblings of a crazy birk

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

Ramblings of a crazy birk Empty
PostSubject: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 1:35 am

As you guys can see from the D&D board (all 2 of you out there >>;;) I'm pretty much the
main contributor to this area of the forum, and as you know I love D&D and the D20 system
in general quite extensively. For he longest time it was an all consuming hobby of mine to try
and find ways of incorporating the d20 system into all of my roleplays and into different sorts
of universes where ever possible. Some have proven easier to adapt the d20 system to than
others (RE's the easiest, just a lot of work. Pokemon on the other hand, is a nightmare.)

Some of the things I've thought about over the years include the following mediums:

Zoids: I know at least Trigger knows about this series, though I'm sure all of you have at the
very least heard the name, perhaps even seen the series on TV. is a franchise based around
a series of plastic toy models designed and produced by Japanese toy company Tomy (now
Takara-Tomy). First released in 1982, the models resemble a range of creatures including
mammals, dinosaurs, and insects. Over the years zoids has been released many different
names, and have fallen in and out of popularity, but the height of its american popularity was
in the early 2000's with the release of the animated series.

Depending on which series, or story you go by, zoids are either giant mechanical fighting units,
such as mechs, or they're living organisms that have evolved into what they are. That's the main
problem with putting zoids in a d20 format. See, the d20 system has a form of mech and a set of
rules in reguard to mech warfare. Essentially its a giant set of robotic armor with its own set of
weapons that's piloted by a basic d20 character. Essentially its a piece of equipment. This would
be fine for say, a gundam series or other mech series, but to me zoids are more than just
suits of armor.

I've tried for a long time to figure out how to bend the mech rules to work for me, and I've even
tried to make my own d20 system for it, but at the time I just didn't have enough knowledge to
make it work. However, since Wesker found the Dragonmech books, my interest has been renewed
in it, and I'll look into possibly making this into a game in the future.

Transformers: Since I bought the Beast Wars complete first season, I've been thinking about them
a lot, and transformers in general. I don't need to explain transformers at all, but beast wars might
be a different story. In 1995 Hasbro released a new line in the long idle Transformers line known as
Beast Wars. Like their autobot and decepticon predecessors, these were robots in disguise, but not as
vehicles, but animals. Dinosaurs, bugs, mammals, birds, dragons, sharks, you name it they probably
had a beast war of it. As with most toylines, they also got a cartoon to promote the franchise and thus
we got Beast Wars: Transformers. It was one of the first cartoon series to be made complete of CGI
Animation (Reboot being the first and coming out in 1994! holyshit!)

It didn't take long before I started thinking of how to make this universe and the transformers universe
as a whole into a d20 system, and its not as hard as you might think. The cybertronians are a race, they
can all be fitted with pre-existing classes from d20 modern, and there is already a pre-existing race of
living, sentient "constructs" (robots!) in the dnd universe known as Warforged, which could offer some
insight into future ideas for the game.

Super Sentai: My nerdiest knows no bounds my friends, even popular Sentai series, such as power
rangers, vr troopers, big bad beetleborgs, and japanese stables such as ronin warriors has not escaped
me. However, they have certainly not gained as much attention as the others. Of all the series listed
above, its the power rangers that I've thought extensively of. The mechs rules cover the various zords
perfectly, so the only real problem we have is the rangers themselves.
Back to top Go down
Warhero30
Survivor
Warhero30

Number of posts : 37

Character Sheet
Name: Odin
Weapons: .50 Taurus Raging Bull, Shoulder Harness Knife, Weighted Throwing Knife, Dual Concealed .22 Pistols, Garrote Wire
Items: Spare Ammo, Zippo,Ciggerettes

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 2:45 am

I remember beast wars. I use to have a computer game of it. I don't remember much about it other than it was completely awesome and now i'm coming over all nostalgiary.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 3:58 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 3:45 pm

Personally none of those sound like a lot of fun to roleplay. Playing a giant robot that turns into a car just doesn't appeal to me.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Pengy wrote:
Personally none of those sound like a lot of fun to roleplay. Playing a giant robot that turns into a car just doesn't appeal to me.

Ramblings of a crazy birk 67432_10
Back to top Go down
Tool
Survivor
Tool

Number of posts : 22

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons:
Items:

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Can't we just have a good'ol fashioned medevil dnd?
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 8:49 pm

.. Don't be mistaken, this thread ISN'T a recruitment page. If you guys like the above,
fine, thats great, if you have any ideas to help me, that's cool. If not, then you're welcome
to your opinion and you're welcome to state such.

I didn't create the thread for any other reason other than I was bored.
Back to top Go down
Tool
Survivor
Tool

Number of posts : 22

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons:
Items:

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Don't get me wrong Birk,all that you have listed sounds fantastic and fun to say the least.But the pain is in learning them or trying to.Your ideas seem very well thought through and intact I salute your imagination and creativity my friend Cheesy
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Tool wrote:
Don't get me wrong Birk,all that you have listed sounds fantastic and fun to say the least.But the pain is in learning them or trying to.Your ideas seem very well thought through and intact I salute your imagination and creativity my friend Cheesy

I haven't even really mentioned any of the details of any my ideas, theres' really nothing much to learn,
cause there really isn't anything. The one consistent thing all of the ideas have in common is that they
use the d20 system, which is the dnd system, which can (and mostly is) applied to a lot of tabletop rpg
games.

The only one I've given any real detail to is the Resident Evil supplement I was working on.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 1:10 am

No.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 2:40 am

Triggitius wrote:
No.

Explain.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 2:52 am

Dinobot wrote:
Triggitius wrote:
No.

Explain.

You give me my steampunk Gundam right damn now. D:<
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySun Jul 10, 2011 3:26 am

Triggitius wrote:
Dinobot wrote:
Triggitius wrote:
No.

Explain.

You give me my steampunk Gundam right damn now. D:<

*bonks* Wrong thread. Dragonmech is the one with the steampunk gundams.

Ramblings of a crazy birk Orc_me10

Here, you and pengy take these orc mechs and play rock'm sock'm robots.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 1:49 am

I ALSO DESIRE A STEAMPUNK LIGER ZERO
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyMon Jul 11, 2011 8:16 am

Pffft. Even the slowest of zoids will run circles around these steam punks.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 3:35 am

THEN I WILL SHOOT THEIR RAPID ASSES WITH MISSILES UNTIL THEY ARE DEAD
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 3:50 am

The steampunk mechs have primitive weapons. Your missiles lack homing capabilities.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 4:05 am

Triggitius wrote:
I ALSO DESIRE A STEAMPUNK LIGER ZERO

Your steampunk liger 0 and berserk fury, sir

Ramblings of a crazy birk Steamp12Ramblings of a crazy birk Steamp11
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 4:36 am

I approve.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Warhammer has better orc mechs

Ramblings of a crazy birk Dawnofwar
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptySun Jul 17, 2011 4:09 pm

those arent steampunk tho.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 pm

D:< they could be with time and imagination.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyMon Jul 18, 2011 2:37 pm

Pengy wrote:

No, no, they can't. You're crazy, bird!
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 3:37 am

Dinobot wrote:
Pengy wrote:

You're crazy, bird!

As he has been trained.

MAKE THEM ALL STEAMPUNK NAO.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 8:37 am

I don't know enough about the Dragonmech system to make these particular suits into a
steampunk variant, sorry but it isn't happening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ramblings of a crazy birk   Ramblings of a crazy birk Empty

Back to top Go down

Ramblings of a crazy birk
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next