Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?

Go down 
+2
Peng
Tool
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Havoc
Tragically Insane
Havoc

Number of posts : 75

Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? Empty
PostSubject: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm pretty sure this idea will get shot down or ignored all together but not having a computer for a long time has caused a severe urge to make an RP and see it through. I'd like to make this one far more survival based then the previous ones I've produced by adding in random encounters, chance of success, and radiation poisoning. Possibly further still require drinking water on a day to day basis as well as requiring to eat. Not wanting to create an entire alternate dimension on my own for an idea I currently see as not being seen through a large portion of the character play types and world itself will be borrowed from our good friend Fallout.

Playable characters and what they start out with:

Humans:

-Survivor: The lucky few that have survived years after the bombing without genetic alteration. All survivors will share some base traits such as a dark tan from over exposure to sun, reddened skin from exposure to radiation.

Start out with:
Canteen
Foodstuffs
Torn clothing
Melee weapon (Default would be a baseball bat but alterations can be approved.)
Close range or long range weapon 1: You can have anything from a pistol, shotgun, or sniper rifle. Each, however, will have pros and cons. (Ex: Sniper Rifles will always beat pistols in range however pistols fire faster and the possibility of finding ammo is far greater.)
Weapon slot 2: This will be a perk later in the game based on either level or game-depth depending on which I decide.
Passive Perks: Survival 4, Small stomach

-Faction Member: Those who found shelter in numbers and use them to their advantage.

Start out with:
Light armor
Canteen
Foodstuffs
Torn clothing
Melee weapon advanced (Default would be a machete but alterations can be approved.)
Close range or long range weapon 1
Weapon slot 2
Passive Perks: Banner boy, Marksmanship, Combat Training 1

-Merchant: Those who have found purpose in these ridden waists by finding relics of an ancient world and selling them for a reasonable price.

Start out with:
Backpack
Map and compass
Canteen
Foodstuffs
Increased money
Torn clothing
Melee weapon: (Default would be baseball bat but alterations can be approved.)
Weapon slot 2
Passive Perks: Charisma, Lock picking 2, Relic Finder

Infernal:

Corpses: Once humans these sacks of rotting flesh look like walking dead among men.

Start out with:
Foodstuffs
Torn clothing
Melee weapon
Weapon slot 2
Passive Perks: Radiation Immunity, Health gain from Radiation, Cannibalism, Fear, Night eye, Survival 2
Negative Traits: Charisma -3

Robots:

Android: Walking replicas of a past civilization.

Start out with:
Torn clothing
Melee weapon
Weapon slot 2
Passive Perks: Radiation Immunity, Self sufficiency (no need of food or water), Decreased limb damage
Negative Traits: Rust, Do not heal over time

The plot is fairly simple. The group is a rag tag team chosen by an unknown industry to seek out a location known as Eden. As for character creation I'm attempting to make it so that all classes are fairly equal and that all terrain traveled will equally work out towards the weaknesses of each individual character. Unlike any other roleplay I've seen on this site, however, dedicated posters will find themselves better rewarded with loot then those who post minimally post. I only find it fair to the survival of the RP.

Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 2:13 am

*thumbs up*

I'm in. For once, it'd be nice to participate in an RP that I'm not actually responsible for. Strangely, I'm not really feeling any of my old moods, so apocalyptic sounds as good as anything else.

Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this.

*stalks away, muttering something about meaning to spend LESS time on the computer*
Back to top Go down
Tool
Survivor
Tool

Number of posts : 22

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons:
Items:

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 7:27 am

I think it is a good idea too,we could all use a break from the medevil and zombie rps.Count me in too I'd like to see what becomes of this,good luck Havoc Smiley
Back to top Go down
Havoc
Tragically Insane
Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 10:18 am

At this point I have confidence the roleplay will be happening. Any suggestions people might want to see added? Should eating and drinking become a requirement or just an added way to heal? Ideas! Cast them hither!
Back to top Go down
Warhero30
Survivor
Warhero30

Number of posts : 37

Character Sheet
Name: Odin
Weapons: .50 Taurus Raging Bull, Shoulder Harness Knife, Weighted Throwing Knife, Dual Concealed .22 Pistols, Garrote Wire
Items: Spare Ammo, Zippo,Ciggerettes

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Maybe not so much just healing or a requirement but a bonus? Like if you don't eat or drink anything for a certain period of time you become slower or your aim with a gun/ability to use a melee weapon effectively decreases making it more appealing to stay fed but not necessary?
Back to top Go down
Untersturmführer Alvarez
Swag on Deck
Swag on Deck
Untersturmführer Alvarez

Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 3:15 pm

Totally in for this one. Hopefully you fag's won't make me rage quit.
Back to top Go down
Warhero30
Survivor
Warhero30

Character Sheet
Weapons: .50 Taurus Raging Bull, Shoulder Harness Knife, Weighted Throwing Knife, Dual Concealed .22 Pistols, Garrote Wire

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 4:06 pm

I don't like the idea of no risk. Maybe use the sites dice roll system at least occasionally?
Back to top Go down
Tool
Survivor
Tool

Number of posts : 22

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons:
Items:

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 4:32 pm

I agree,it won't be fun for long without any risk involved.I think being hungry/straving or not drinking much should have drastic effects over attributes and skills so that even though it won't kill you directly.you probably will die from the effects and it should make it at least more intresting.So I second Warhero's suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Untersturmführer Alvarez
Swag on Deck
Swag on Deck
Untersturmführer Alvarez

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 8:12 pm

I third his suggestion, but does anyone else suggest using New vegas ammo creation system? We have to roll a certain number to make a X amount of rounds? Just me saying something.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 1:00 am

I'd definitely like it to be high risk and high maintenance. Eating, drinking, radiation poisoning, exposure, and limited durability/power on every item we come across. I'd like to see a wide selection of roles; The ammo-maker, the repairman, the sharpshooter, the cook, the medic, etc, so that every fallen party member is a loss sorely felt. I'd also like to see enemy parties so dangerous that attacking them would be folly, adding more of a "fight or flight" element to the RP, as opposed to the standard "look, enemies, let's kill them" approach usually taken.

I would be very disappointed if more than half of us survived the RP.
Back to top Go down
Untersturmführer Alvarez
Swag on Deck
Swag on Deck
Untersturmführer Alvarez

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 1:20 am

No trigger everyone should be good at some thing's and complete shit in others, but some of us can be uber badasses in what we grew up with and so fourth.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 6:43 am

Oh, I agree with you, so long as our talents do not outrun our obstacles to such a degree that the dangers we face are mitigated below an entertaining level.

Even as we approach endgame, and we begin finding power-armor, lasers, and nuclear grenades as our skills simultaneously reach the apex of their effectiveness, I hope there will still be plenty for us to be afraid of, aside the occasional boss encounter.

Tomorrow, I shall be spending my working hours pondering how this venture might be further improved upon. I certainly have nothing better to think about, or rather, nothing that I haven't already spent forty days pondering at length. Cheesy
Back to top Go down
Havoc
Tragically Insane
Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 9:50 am

Ok so food and drink will be ago. Each individual has enough food goods to last them two meals. To keep them at max, water must be drank every half day and food must be eaten once a day. Be prepared for you won't stay at max long. In fact, food and clean water are such carve commodities that you'll be giving what you find to the most malnurished.

As for ammo resupply, I plan on ammo not only being a defence, but a currency as well, this way you are faced with the decision of giving your sniper friend the bullets you found or selling them for ammo for your revolver. Ammo booths might be added but I need to know how effective the dice roll feature is before approving it as the sole chance engine. If it doesn't I have dice at home I can roll.

Yes, the game will definitely be more right or flight then my last. Quite honestly, I loved both of my factions in living in hell but neither really killed as many civilians as they should. Not to mention we will be fighting cannibals, raiders, and corpses. Enemies that favor the super mutant will be added when we can handle them and based off team work I've seen in past roleplays at least two will die again the first giant we fight.

It is at this point I must unfortunately inform you that characters can and will die or coke close to death. When your character has been put out of commission in a fight I'll ask you if you want to continue that character or start a new one in the next town. If you decide to keep your character he will recover permanent penalties through the rest of the game. The first time won't be so bad but the second and beyond will suck. For instance at first death you may crippled limb which effects your aiming but will slowly mend over time. Second death may be a collapsed lung if you were shot and you can no longer run for the rest of the game. Or, if you were hit in the face you may have blurred vision for the rest of the game cutting in half your ability to aim. There must also be another player around for you to be saved.. if you run off alone you risk your character.

I'll be opening a sign up later today so keep an eye out. May suggestions continue until the game is released.
Back to top Go down
Untersturmführer Alvarez
Swag on Deck
Swag on Deck
Untersturmführer Alvarez

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Looks about nice, but you have to realize that some of us can be crafty little bastards and produce clean looking shells and rounds while they jam, and fuck up you're gun like pot did to trigger's lung's. That's the only issue I have, at this point the food and water seem about right. Depending on the climate and enviroment we should be able to eat less, drink less, or eat a lot more and drink a lot more. Just me talking.
Back to top Go down
Peng
Spider Wizard
Spider Wizard
Peng

Number of posts : 272

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 1:55 pm

I will join when I get back!
Back to top Go down
Havoc
Tragically Insane
Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm comfortable enough with the RP to start the sign-up phase and as soon as we finish that the actual RP itself. The sign-up may be a slightly lengthy process or it could be swift depending on how much I have to power down each individual character and equalize them as I see fit. Prepare for the sign-up to be posted next time I log in. Until then, ponder your characters.
Back to top Go down
Warhero30
Survivor
Warhero30

Character Sheet

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 3:11 pm

I will say I see a problem in me joining in. The coming saturday I go away for two weeks. Then a week after i get back i go away for a week again.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:40 am

Storm Commander Alvarez wrote:
Looks about nice, but you have to realize that some of us can be crafty little bastards and produce clean looking shells and rounds while they jam, and fuck up you're gun like pot did to trigger's lung's. That's the only issue I have, at this point the food and water seem about right. Depending on the climate and enviroment we should be able to eat less, drink less, or eat a lot more and drink a lot more. Just me talking.

I'll have you know my lungs function perfectly well! That is, unless there's the slightest bit of pollen floating on the breeze... Even then, it isn't my lungs at fault, though my chest certainly feels as if those unruly organs are trying to shrivel up and die. Late winter to late summer is not a good period of time to be me.

Bah. Rather than think about about the RP today at work, I instead spent eight straight hours pondering how best to rearrange and redecorate my room after I return.

Trigger do better tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 4:01 am

Bump.

(Oh my, it's been a long time since I got to do that.)
Back to top Go down
Untersturmführer Alvarez
Swag on Deck
Swag on Deck
Untersturmführer Alvarez

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 pm

So what will the weapons be? Just wondering is all.
Back to top Go down
Havoc
Tragically Insane
Havoc

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 10:37 pm

So I’ve completed the primitive combat chart I’ll be using for the RP. Combat will be based off of dice rolls and will be very similar in style to the game Risk. I’ll be using three six sided die (two blue and one red). There will be three types of weaponry in the game Basic Melee (one dice), Advanced Melee (two dice), Ranged Weapon (Three dice). Herein combat gets slightly more advanced. To even out the three in the beginning of the game there will be penalties for every combat except for Basic melee. Advanced Combat will be two dice -4 which mean 4 will be subtracted from the total rolled. Ranged weapons will have three dice rolls -6 to begin with for each player meaning 6 will be subtracted from the total rolled. Perks gained throughout the RP will lower these penalties. Totals will be decided from a best out of two basis.

Adept Melee skill will give a +2 to Basic Melee and Advanced Melee making the penalty for Advanced Melee -2 and increasing the total possible roll of Basic Melee 8 and the total possible roll for Advanced Melee 10.

Advanced Melee skill will give a +4 to Basic Melee and Advanced Melee making the penalty for Advanced Melee 0 and increasing the total possible roll of Basic Melee 10 and the total possible roll for Advanced Melee 12.

Marksman skill (Faction Member Passive) will give a +1 to Ranged Weaponry making the penalty only -3 and the maximum possible roll 13. However, after also acquiring Expert Ranged their maximum possible roll will be 19.

Adept Ranged skill will give a +2 to Ranged Weaponry making the penalty only -4 and the maximum possible roll 14.

Advanced Ranged skill will give a +4 to Ranged Weaponry making the penalty only -2 and the maximum possible roll 16.

Expert Ranged skill will give a +6 to Ranged Weaponry making the penalty 0 and the maximum possible roll 18.

I find the differences realistic and fair. Basic Melee will include blunt weapons such as Crowbar, Metal Baseball Bat, Golf Club, etc. Advanced Melee will include bladed weapons such as Katana, Kukri, Axe, etc. There will be three variations of Ranged Weapons: Rifle, Shotgun, and Pistol.

*Note: Faction member is currently he only class that naturally starts out with Advanced Melee, however, depending on your class I will choose to take away one of your perks to be replaced by AM.

Ranged Weaponry will also receive further penalties depending on range. There will be three ranges in all: Long Range, Medium Range, and Short Range. At beginning level Ranged weaponry has a total of 12 damage in all.

Shotguns: Short Range +6, Medium Range -1, Long Range -6.
Rifles: Short Range -6, Medium Range +2, Long Range +4.
Rifle (Scoped): Short Range -9, Medium range -1, Long Range +6
Pistol: Short Range +4, Medium Range +2, Long Range -2

After all the combat rolls have been concluded a final die will be rolled by the victor (Red die) which will approximate the damage towards the enemy. Average health is 6 with a healing rate of 1 per three post.

When a characters health is at 2 or lower Adrenalin will kick in (Androids are an exception) and will receive a +4 towards all attacks.

*Corpses heal 1 per post when in radiation while Androids only receive half the damage rounded up.

Light armor will give +2 to life total, Medium armor will give +4 to life total, and Heavy armor will give +6 to life total.

*As with Advanced Melee a class perk may be removed by me and replaced with Light or Medium amour as a replacement.

That concludes combat rules. Now for a few example fights.

Fighter 1 Tom (Basic Melee) vs. Fighter 2 Nick (Ranged Weapon: Pistol)
Distance: Short Range

Fighter 1 Rolls: 4
Fighter 2 Rolls: 14 (14 - 6 + 4 = 12) (-6 for Basic Ranged Skill and +4 for Short Range (Pistol))

Fighter 2 wins the duel.

Fighter 2 Rolls: 4

RP: Tom lunged forwards towards Nick his eyes red with hate. “You seem to have greatly underestimated me!” Nick shouted as he pulled out a concealed pistol and firing once into Tom’s stomach. Tom dropped to the ground and gazed at his opponent. “You think that will stop me?” Tom grumbled standing back up with a renewed vigor.

Tom Rolls: 5 (5+4=9) (+4 Adrenalin)
Nick Rolls: 16 (16-6+4=14)

Nick wins the duel

Nick Rolls: 2

RP: “No,” said Nick raising his gun once again, “But this will.” To this day no one was ever sure which was the last thing that rung in Tom’s ear before the bullet met his brain. The voice of his greatest enemy, or the sound of a firing pistol.

*The fight may appear very once sided. This however friends is reality. If you go into a fight against an opponent with a gun only equipped with a baseball bat expecting to win. You sir, are sadly mistaken.

Lets try something a bit more even:

Joshua (Basic Melee) vs. Noah (Advanced Melee)

Joshua Rolls: 6

Noah Rolls: 11 (11 - 4 = 7)

Noah wins the duel

Noah Rolls: 5

RP: Noah came at Joshua with an unexpected speed. “I’ll slaughter you!” he shouted in a fiery rage. Joshua brought up his crowbar in a swift attempt at a block but failed as Noah’s Katana slid gracefully through the right side of Joshua’s chest. “It appears I’ve made a mistake,” Noah grumbled in rage, “I should have stabbed the other side of your chest.”

Round 2

Joshua Rolls: 6

Noah Rolls: 9 (9 - 4 = 5)

Joshua Wins the duel

Joshua Rolls: 4

After coughing up quite the amount of blood Joshua lifted his crowbar and delivered it into the side of Noah’s face sending him to the ground. “A mistake you’ll soon regret!” he wheezed.

Round 3

Joshua Rolls: 4

Noah Rolls: 7 (7 - 4 = 3)

Joshua wins the duel

Joshua Rolls: 5

Before Noah could get his bearings Joshua was on top of him swinging his crowbar like a crazed lunatic. As the battle ended Joshua limbed away slowly from what appeared to be a defeated watermelon.

I hope the examples helped. If anyone has a complaint or suggestion please feel free to comment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?   Post Apocalyptic Roleplay? Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Apocalyptic Roleplay?
Page 1 of 1