Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Zombie books, stories, and comics

Go down 
+3
W. Birkin
Wesker
fatalitywolf
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Zombie books, stories, and comics Empty
PostSubject: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 8:21 pm

I recently read The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z, both of which I enjoyed quite a bit. Unfortunately, I'm out of zombie stuff to read, which totally sucks, seeing as how I'm in a zombie mood. I still have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies waiting for me to read it, but methinks it will be more funny than fun.

So! The purpose of this thread! Suggest zombie books, stories, comics, or anything readable that a zombie-enthusiast might find interesting!

Books are always best, but I'm on the internet far more often than I'm at the bookstore, so mainly try to suggest things that can be found online.

No videos, please.
Back to top Go down
fatalitywolf
Lord of Wolves
fatalitywolf

Number of posts : 164

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 8:23 pm

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/highschool_of_the_dead/

its very good it called highschool of the dead

its a manga

if u not read it i surgest u do
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 9:51 pm

There's a few good ones on DF, actually.

Let me link them for you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 10:01 pm

Story names are links.

N4 - The Siege by Napalm

Kind of a semi-comedic, Dead Frontier inspired story. You won't get a few of the inside jokes, but it's still a good read regardless.

Clan Wars: a DF fan fiction by Darkfighter

A more serious one. The first in a trilogy, the characters, rivalries, and settings are from Dead Frontier and clan backgrounds, but it's mostly explained in the story. You don't need to know anything about the community to enjoy this one either.

Wars of Men: a DF fan fiction by Darkfighter

A sequel to the story above, and my favorite out of the trilogy so far. Nothing much to say. You'll find that this one and the one above are less about zombies, and more about the people in the apocalypse. But the third story, to be released in Fall, is supposed to center around the infected.

Last edited by Jarki on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 10:02 pm

fatalitywolf wrote:
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/highschool_of_the_dead/

its very good it called highschool of the dead

its a manga

if u not read it i surgest u do

HSOTD is quite awesome, but it's M for a reason Tongue
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 10:04 pm

Danke. I'll get started on them tomorrow. Tongue

@ Wolf - I've read about 15 pages so far, and it's got my attention. I fear it'll be chock-full of cliched giggling girls and mysterious guys with dark pasts, but I'll keep at it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 10:31 pm

I don't know if it's some kind of first impressions thing, but I really hated HOTD.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 10:48 pm

Something about anime/manga and zombies just doesn't click with me. The art style is all about making things cartoony and pretty, which just doesn't work with zombies.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptySun Aug 16, 2009 10:57 pm

Yeah, I guess first impressions last the longest, but I stuck with it and ended up enjoying it.

With that said, I'm off to bed. Good night all.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 3:08 am

The zombie survival guide wasn't nearly as good as I remembered reading it form the PDF, but I
think I would like World War Z the best, since it was the "historical" recounts that made the ZSG
worth reading.

I highly recommend the Resident Evil series of novels by S.D Perry, they were released in the
early days of the games. She made several of them, one for each game, up until Zero, and two
stand alone original works of her own. She also made novels for the first two movies as well.

I discovered the novels existence here, which provides you with an overview and some
teasers taken from each book. Around Nemesis, continuity suffers a bit because of the knowledge
at hand. However, you shouldn't let that bother you. The books are really a great read, and hey.
You can get em for pretty cheap.

Another Re related book you could get would be Resident Evil: Archives, no not the bundle pack
of games with the same name. Re: Archives came out quite some time before Re 4 and chronicles
everything from the previous games, from zero to code veronica x. Unfortunately it's the only real
testament to the story line that made the games popular to begin with, and is a sad reminder of
what had once been.

It gives you tons of information that isn't commonly known about the games, or at least uncommon
to the mentally deficient or who got into the games with Re 4. It has every item, weapon, ammo,
monster, puzzle piece, key and tool displayed, character bios, Wesker's reports, concept art from
that has rarely been seen, the works.

The only things that annoyed me about the Archives, were that Brady Games used some kind of
computer program to translate the guide. You'll be reading and sometimes the sentences won't
make sense, because of the inter-changing game titles. Resident Evil becomes Biohazard and
Biohazard becomes Resident Evil, so sometimes reading can get confusing unless you recognize
the errors. Oh, and the other thing? D:< the glue that held my book together had grown brittle
from the summer heat and started falling apart! I paid $33.50 for the thing and it falls apart on
me >.< *sigh* but I love it none the less!

What else? Oh, if you look around the internet you can find the original script for the Resident Evil
movie that was written by George A Romero. It's fun to read through and compare the differences
between his script, Anderson's script and the games plot themselves.

I've already read Romero's script, but I won't post any spoiler. Well.. Ok I will. You read at your
own risk. Don't say I didn't warn you. GOT IT?!

Quote :
Some changes In Romero's script -
Chris is a Native-American who is totally banging Jill in his apartment when he isn't watching eagles in the mountains.
Wesker some how winds up in Brad Vicker's roll as the coward, and dies in a cowardly manner near the end.
Barry is a black guy.
A lot of the original game's B.O.W's were meant to appear on screen, including the Cerberus, Hunter, Neptune and Yawn.

The only thing left I have to offer you is this, Bobby Crosby's
"Last Blood" which is about vampires, protecting the last remnants of humanity safe form the
zombie apocalypse, so that their food supply doesn't go extinct. I wasn't able to get far into it
before I lost my net for an entire damn year x.x and I haven't tried getting back into it since, but
I may have to change that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 5:48 am

I really wanted to find the Resident Evil: Archives. But I couldn't find them around here, and I couldn't find a translated version online.

Do you have a link/copy I could have?
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 am

Jarki wrote:
I really wanted to find the Resident Evil: Archives. But I couldn't find them around here, and I couldn't find a translated version online.

Do you have a link/copy I could have?

My suggestion would be to call some of your local book retailers, and ask if they can special order
a copy for you, i got mine at Boarders Book Store, which is about a half hour drive from where I
currently live. Hastings Books & Music will do special orders as well, but I'm not sure for Books-A
-Million.

PDFDatabase has a few links for the Archives, however you download them at your own risk.
I can't try them out for you otherwise I would, my poor dial-up connection can't handle something
that big.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptyFri Aug 21, 2009 12:19 am

Got some new zombie content for you guys!

http://www.cracked.com/funny-38-zombies/

Cracked dot com has a plethora of zombie related articles to browse through, and they're
all great for a quick fix, and are for the most part funny as hell.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Zombie books, stories, and comics   Zombie books, stories, and comics EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Some more Zombie content (I know it's an old thread, but I thought I'd add more.)

Carriers.