Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Journal log of "Albino Skunk"

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Gabriel Hunter
Survivor
Gabriel Hunter

Number of posts : 26

Journal log of "Albino Skunk" Empty
PostSubject: Journal log of "Albino Skunk"   Journal log of "Albino Skunk" EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Forenotice to readers
I can't say whether or not I'll be alive by the time you start reading this, but if my experiences can save even one life, then my sins will feel a little lighter at least.

September 23, 2008
We've been given a new project to run today. A lot of people seem excited, because it entails 'superior advancements in medical science'. I have my doubts, of course. But I didn't get where I am in my career by succumbing to my doubts.

Apparently, a biologist by the name of Dr. Adler is in charge of this project. He looks knowledgeable enough, but I wonder if he has good sense about him. I've seen other biologists come and go in this company, each promising to bring something great with them, and some succeeding. Most never succeeded. A few of them even disappeared. Right off the grid, it would seem. I'll be keeping an eye on this one for a while. As a precaution, I'll also be keeping a journal of events, in case anything 'interesting' happens during this project.

November 17, 2008
My doubts seem to have been for nothing. This Dr. Adler definitely seems to know what he's doing. He has quite a few years of advanced biology under his belt, as well as leadership abilities. I can see why they put him in charge of the Nerotonin Project. Nothing too noteworthy to mention right now, other than the basis of his idea.

Apparently, he's been trying to come up with a means of 'making medicine that works', in order to treat certain cancerous infections. But instead of a medicine, he's opted to use a virus. Not any ordinary virus, mind you, but an artificial nano-virus. He hopes to create something that can eliminate cancerous anomalies from within the body naturally. God knows there are enough cancer patients out there who need the help.

February 5, 2009
After extensive tests and work, I'm starting to think this guy is another one of those quacks you hear about on the news. Nerotonin-1 is a complete failure; having no effect whatsoever on the targeting areas of the body. There were a few effects from administering it to some patients, but none of them good. Just a lot of vomiting and aching muscles. But Dr. Adler refuses to give up. I don't know if he's just passionate, or stubborn, but the project is still continuing. I might change to a different section of the company if this guy is given much longer to continue failing.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Hunter
Survivor
Gabriel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Journal log of "Albino Skunk"   Journal log of "Albino Skunk" EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 1:10 pm

July 27, 2013
Its incredible! Some time after Nerotonin-1 was canned, he started work on the second version of the same nano-virus. Not without doing extensive research, modification, and testing, of course. The end result is something amazing. No, amazing isn't even the word for it.

The nano-virus stimulates the subject's metabolism and enhances the body's own natural regenerative rates exponentially. And not just muscular tissue or skin cells, either. Bone matter, internal organ tissue, and even nervous tissue. Of all the medical advancements I've seen in my day, this is by far the most impressive. Even patients who were previously handicapped or blind were able to walk and see again. Prior medical patients who had suffered severe brain damage were talking up a storm several weeks after administering the nano-viruses.

We may have only been able to test it on a small handful of subjects (some 200 patients), but already this Nerotonin-2 shows significant signs of potential and effectiveness. However, amidst all that, Dr. Adler doesn't seem satisfied yet. Unfortunately, even amidst its impressive medical potential, it still wasn't able to effectively target and eliminate cancerous tissue. He's already in the works of making a third version, it seems.

July 28, 2013
I've been promoted. Assistant Director to the Nerotonin Project. Apparently, Dr. Adler took note of my suggestions during our work, and he says it was one of the many reasons N-2 was such a success. I've already let my wife know about it. She'll be happy about the raise, too.

August 2, 2013
Those military meatheads came in again today. Seems they found out about our little "miracle medicine', and want to use it for military applications. Didn't take them long either. We weren't working on building a damn weapon, after all, so I don't personally see it as a good idea to let them have it. Unfortunately, its over our heads. It always is. Dr. Adler seemed torn between himself when Lt. Malachi gave him the orders. It seemed like Dr. Adler wanted to give it to him, but also didn't want to let him have it. Eventually, he succumbed to the chain of command. To give it the benefit of a doubt, I could see its use in keeping injuries to a minimum in the longrun. You could give the soldiers small doses of the nano-viruses and they'd be up and running again in a few days; off to mow down more of their own species. As a former soldier, I know what its like. Its one of the biggest reasons I went into medical research and development after the last war anyways. I was more interested in SAVING lives, not TAKING them.

April 29, 2015
I got married today. Not really relevent to the project, but I thought I'd make note of it anyways.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Hunter
Survivor
Gabriel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Journal log of "Albino Skunk"   Journal log of "Albino Skunk" EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 1:11 pm

June 14, 2016
We've completed Nerotonin-3, as demanded from Dr. Adler. He seems a bit more...irritatable, ever since the soldiers on the front lines have been using his work and denying public application of it. Greedy bastards. We're on-route to administer some samples to a few subjects. Why we have to travel all the way over there, instead of them coming here to our facility, is beyond me. But, the master demands, and we have no choice but to obey. Or become unemployed. Neither options thrill me. Dr. Adler hopes this project will come through for him eventually, and hopes to fulfill his dream of not just treating cancer, but eliminating it. Personally, after all the work we've done, I hope it works too.

June 15, 2016
A horrible disaster! This batch was an utter failure, beyond horror. The Nerotnin-3 succeeded in killing the cancerous tissue in the Grenoble subjects, sure...but it also succeeded in killing everything else within the bodies. Every single last one of them, dead. This is NOT what I signed up for!

June 16, 2016
Of all the things I can explain, this is one that I can't. The test subjects that were presumably killed...somehow came back. It sounds like something from a creepy occult movie, but its the truth. Somehow or another, their vital signs were restored, if not a bit abnormal. Their metabolic rate, for instance, was substancially higher than before. They often (and loudly) complained about hunger all day and night. They've even become heavily aggressive towards the other scientists that test them. No doubt due to the extreme hunger they're suffering.

June 17, 2016
I really did it now. I'll probably get fired for my actions today.

My temper got the better of me after the unusual N-3 incident. After we returned to the facility, he started barking orders to us; wanting to figure out why his dream fell to the ground as it did. I voiced my concerns publically to him about everything that had happened, and he tried brushing me aside. Literally. My prior combat instincts took over for only a second, and next thing I know, Dr. Adler is staring up at me from the ground with a look of both confusion and frustration. However, he simply got up, dusted himself off, and told us all to get back to work. Surprisingly calm for a man who just got flipped through the air like that...

June 21, 2016
I'm surprised I didn't get fired yet. I'm still waiting for my inevitable unemployment.

On a side note, I think we may have found out why N-3 didn't work as planned. Apoptosis, or cellular suicide, is a process involved in normal growth of living organisms. It allows them to form distinct body parts by means of killing of only certain 'unnecessary' cells in various parts of the body. This is regulated by the body throughout its entire life, ensuring we don't live our entire pitiful existence with flippers for hands. However, without proper regulation from the N-3, it doesn't know when to stop killing cells. The end result is obvious. We're still having trouble explaining the irregularity that occured with those 109 subjects. Right now, they're being held in maximum security for continued testing. I have a bad feeling about this...

June 27, 2016
Dr. Adler said he is taking a small leave, to convene with other 'higher minds' about fixing the problem. Not as if we're morons compared to him. At the same time, the test subjects for N-3 are scheduled to be executed tomorrow. I feel sort of bad for them. If it were convicted criminals, it wouldn't be as bad. At least the bastards would get what's coming to them. I mean, they were acting so irradically, they even started attacking our own scientists. Fortunately they didn't have any weapons or anything, but they were clawing wildly at them, or even biting them.

June 28th, 2016
The facility was raided today by those damn French police. And the stupid idiots released the test subjects! We didn't even get a chance to come up with a countermeasure to the viruses they still carry. And now, we have no way of finding them. What's worse, a lot of the other scientists were either arrested or brought in for questioning. Some even turned tail and fled. Admittedly, I was one of the unfortunate bunch that was questioned.

June 29, 2016
Its a media fiasco. Every news reporter and journalist conscious has clung to the "Secronom Incident" like flies to....well, yeah. Its a total mess, and I'm even getting some heat for it. Yet the only bastard who doesn't seem to be getting direct verbal abuse is Dr. Adler. I think he realized something was up before we did, and took his 'convenient leave' before the sparks really flew.

July 2, 2016
A goddamn pandemic. Those infected subjects are running rampant, but not just them anymore. Innocent victims are getting attacked or killed out there, and are becoming infected with the nano-virus now. The military is taking action against them, but I fear it won't be so easy to contain.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Hunter
Survivor
Gabriel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Journal log of "Albino Skunk"   Journal log of "Albino Skunk" EmptyFri Jun 18, 2010 1:21 pm

July 19, 2016
...they got her. We were in our home at the time, and she heard the commotion before I did. Before I knew it, they were crashing in through the windows and flooding the house. Why couldn't it have been me, though? Was it because she thought I had a fighting chance against these things? Why would she sacrifice herself for MY safety? After all, I inadvertedly created these...monsters. They were no longer human. They only had one driving thought. Eat. And now they attacked my wife. Our daughter hadn't even been born yet. God, why couldn't it have been me?

July 31, 2016
These things are everywhere, it seems. There is panic all around as people are frantically trying to escape to safety. Wherever safety may be. I'm doing the same. A few old friends of mine are coming to meet me, and we'll be traveling in a group to find some means of safety.

September 19, 2018
Somehow, Mikhail, Yosuke, Perry and I are still alive. Unfortunately, Terrence got attacked and we had to put him down. Better that, than getting attacked in the dead of night. Speaking of which, I've found my insomnia attacks getting the better of me lately. For obvious reasons.

October 4, 2018
All of them, dead. It was a horde. We barely had a fighting chance. I managed to survive without physical harm, but at the cost of my comrades dying in battle. At least two of them. Mikhail survived but was heavily injured. Those claws they have...its like they can cut through almost any armour.

Before we got attacked, we heard rumors of some survivors gathering together in a large area. Protected, of course. But against these things, I doubt how long it would hold out. Mikhail told me to go on ahead, and he'd catch up once he took a few minutes to regain his stamina.

I heard a single gunshot only about twenty minutes after I left.

October 31, 2018
As I write this entry, I can't help but find the date...comical. In a sort of macabre way. I heard about a safehaven for survivors of the outbreak. I'm headed over there now, though it could take a while to get there. I never imagined the world to be like this, though.

February 8, 2018
I just got here today, and already I see more guns, ammunition, and injured humans than I ever did in the war. I didn't think it was possible.

I've heard rumors that there are more outposts just like Nastya's, but I haven't seen them yet. Its been an arduous trek sneaking past those creatures or fighting against some of them. Its a wonder I haven't been struck yet.

Great. Looks like I'm getting some unwelcome attention. I may pause my journal entry for now until I find out what they want with me. They sure seem pissed

February 9, 2018
Should have figured they'd throw stones at me. Lock me up. Blame me and shun me. I won't deny that I had part in making these things what they are now. What's worse, the virus has mutated their bodies and made them veritable monsters now. And I hear rumors of a really big one they affectionately named "Big Red". What have we done?

February 10, 2018
After seeing how these people operate in Nastya's, I've decided to help. After the initial blame game took place upon my arrival, I found out I wasn't the only Secronom scientist there. Our reputation was shattered, but we were slowly picking up the pieces and helping to redeem ourselves for the sins we committed. Even though I'm no religious man, I feel this is something I must do too, if I am ever to be saved.

February 11, 2018
Its not much, but I've decided to open a discount shop here. Apparently, I'm not the only one to be taking a business endeavour out of this mess. A lot of people are charging so much money for items that used to be so cheap. Obviously because of how 'rare' they are to come across nowadays, since we have to loot supplies from houses that were once our neighbors. From stores that were open 24/7 and lively, but now simply filled with the 'walking dead'. I need money to live, too, but I'm not about to charge ridiculous amounts for bandages. At least not ridiculous in regards to current market prices. If anything, I hope it does some good, and gets people not to hate me so much for what I was a part of.
Back to top Go down
Gabriel Hunter
Survivor
Gabriel Hunter

PostSubject: Re: Journal log of "Albino Skunk"   Journal log of "Albino Skunk" EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 7:25 pm

February 17, 2018
The first week went by rather roughly. Still getting a lot of cold looks, amidst my efforts to help the survivors. Can't say I'm surprised, though. Secronom got a lot of bad slander against it after the initial outbreak. As did anyone who used to work for them; regardless as to whether or not they were involved with the Nerotonin Project. I see other fellow scientists also going through similar hardships as I am. Sadly, I don't see any of my colleagues whom I worked with those many years ago. More than likely, they either got killed during the attacks...or they took up hiding from the world altogether.

February 22, 2018
These people are nuts! I wonder if its safer out in the undead-infested city instead... Crazy bastards tried mugging me for my supplies, and a few of them thought it was a "secronom beatdown", and joined in on kicking me around a bit. I got thrown off guard for just a moment, though, before pulling out my Beretta and shooting one of them through the foot.

You'd think that would stop most people, but it only seemed to make the crowd angrier. Before things got really ugly, though, one of the bigger guys guarding the holdout whipped out his shotgun and unloaded a deafening blast into the air. A few other guards came to the scene and told the people to go about their business. I can't tell whether it was because the guards couldn't stand seeing people getting kicked around, or if it was just to quiet the ruckus so the infected wouldn't get drawn over.

February 28, 2018
Something interesting happened today. A young woman came by and dropped off a small supply of food for me, then left without a word. I'd never even seen her before, and didn't know who she was. I was hungry, so I ate most of it, and saved the rest. But by the time I'd finished, I felt bad because I didn't even thank her when she gave me the food. So, to satiate my mind, I tried to find her so I could give her a proper thanks.

I searched for hours until I finally found her in one of the small cluttered alleys. She was huddled over a crying child, trying to soothe his whining from a minor injury he had sustained. Concerned, I came over to see what was wrong. Similar to how she gave me food without saying anything, I got out some Steri Strips and tended to the boy's injury. Shortly afterwards, I turned to the woman and said "This is repayment for the food". Again, she didn't say a thing, but she gave an acknowledged nod instead. I tried asking what her name was, and what brought her here, but she remained silent...averting her gaze a bit. I thought she was just shy, but the boy told me otherwise.

"She can't speak", he said. Apparently, she had undergone a traumatic shock from an attack on her life from one of the infected...and it affected her ability to speak. All she could manage was a quiet utterance of noise to express her emotion. I'd only heard of such things happening before, and didn't think much of it at first. I thanked both the boy and the woman, then went back to my usual spot and resumed my business.

March 3, 2018
Some time after I met with the mute woman, I got a few nice customers. Not the ones pretending to be nice just to rob me. These ones were genuinely friendly. Guess they must have been friends of that woman...

March 14, 2018
I spoke with someone who called himself "Hydrobill". I'm not sure where he came up with that one, but apparently he's not the only one to have an odd nickname. I mean, after all, my service nickname was Albino Skunk...

Anyways, he seems alright. He's one of the first few people willing to help me out with my shop. Unfortunately, not everyone is so easy to trust...especially in a place like this. But at the very least, I've made one of my first few friends here.

March 15, 2018
Another hellish attack on the outpost again. But it came with some good news. I've made a few more friends. "Yohankoe", "Anarchy", and "TechnoKitten". Also, I've accumulated more money than I thought I'd have by now. Sadly, the stereotype is true... "War makes money".

But I've decided that I want to devote this money towards my slowly-growing shop. More than just that, I want to use this money to help the people in need here. Others prefer to make themselves rich from the misfortune of the outbreak... Can't say I blame them, but its not my way. So, to each their own.

March 19, 2018
Sometimes its hard to make friends, knowing they're so easy to lose in a world like this.

The mute woman I met a while back...was slain by one of the infected. Everyone else didn't seem to care, but it struck a chord with me. I held a small funeral for her. I put the grave marker in the alley where I met her.
Back to top Go down
Untersturmführer Alvarez
Swag on Deck
Swag on Deck
Untersturmführer Alvarez

Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: Journal log of "Albino Skunk"   Journal log of "Albino Skunk" EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 2:24 pm

can i be in st0ry to pl0x? Cheesy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Journal log of "Albino Skunk"   Journal log of "Albino Skunk" Empty

Back to top Go down

Journal log of "Albino Skunk"
Page 1 of 1