Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 Empty
PostSubject: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 4:31 pm

"With E3 coming closer, the rumours regarding the announcement of a new Resident Evil will not stop popping up on the internet. This time, they come from sources that are really "close" to the fans: NewsBot, administrator of Project Umbrella, hinted he knows details about an upcoming game of the series, although it would not be Resident Evil 7 but a spin-off instead.

"There are three returning characters. Two male and one female. Two haven't been seen in over a decade and one has never had an 'in-game' appearance. Guess away. That's more than enough. (...) Regarding the one who doesn't appear in-game, I should be a little more specific (because I'm sure someone will call me a liar for being too general). They are mentioned in games but are a background character with no 'active' appearance yet. It's not someone from the movies/comics", he said on Capcom-Unity's Forum.

Besides NewsBot, another famous member at the international Resident Evil community, HUNK, also known as the responsible for Biohazard France fansite, also mentioned info regarding a new announcement om E3 on his Forum: "It (the E3 reveal) is soon yes, but I never said it'll be Resident Evil 7". He also said: "One thing is for sure, fans will scrutinize their screens during coming days and weeks and this is where the REVELATION will unfold". With the REVELATION word in capital letters, would that be a clue to the launch of "Revelations 2", achieving Capcom's plans regarding a sequence of the title after if was successful on Nintendo 3DS?

E3 2014 is happening from June 9 (this is the day when the main conferences and announcements are made) to 12th.

Sources: Capcom-Unity and NeoGAF"

Well, this is most certainly interesting...So, if the rumors are indeed accurate, we're likely going to get a
new sequal to Resident Evil: Revelations, which is fine by me, given that I've really liked what I've seen
of the first game so far. As for the two recurring characters? There are a handfull of characters that fall
under the "over a decade" time frame.

• Rebecca Chambers & Billy Cohen (Last seen in Resident Evil Zero)
  • Barry Burton (Last seen in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis0
  • Carlos Olivera (Last seen in Resident Evil 3: Nemesis)
  • Ark Thompson (Last seen in Resident Evil Survivor)
  • Steve Burnside (Last seen in Resident Evil: Code Veronica/Deceased)
  • Ashley Grahm (Last seen in Resident Evil 4)
  • Bruce McGivern & Fong Ling (Last seen in Resident Evil: Dead Aim)

The primary reason why I didn't include the outbreak survivors is because there is no definitive protagonist
among them. While each of the main characters had their own back stories, none of them really fit the
archetype of a Resident Evil hero/heroine.

I have my own thoughts on who the returning characters are. I honestly believe that the female returning
to the series is without a doubt Rebecca Chambers. She was the youngest member of S.T.A.R.S and the only
survivor of Bravo team. She hasn't been in a sequal, and she hasn't been seen since Zero came out in 2002.

For a returning male character, I would guess that it comes down to Carlos, Barry and Billy. But I feel Billy has
the weakest chance of making a return to the games. Even though he has connections to Rebecca through
the events of Zero, I just don't feel there is much they can do with his story given how Zero wrapped up,

Carlos has similar reasons for returning as Rebecca does. He's a young character, only survivor of his team
to make it out of Raccoon City, has never made an appearance in a sequal and we have little to no info on
what he's been doing after the Raccoon Incident.

Barry would be an interesting choice to bring back. By all rights he has the the most reasons not to return
to active duty.. He's getting on in years by this point, he has a family that he needs to take care of, and one
that has and could be used against him the way Wesker did. So, even if he doesn't want to get back into the
horror of anti-bioterrorism enforcement, there is enough there that could drag him back into it.

I'm going to have to paw through my archives (carefully I might add.. It's falling apart) and look at the notes
and files to try and discern who this mystery person is. There are a few candidates, but none that I can make
off the top of my head at this time..

Anyway, what are your thoughts guys?
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Was Barry actually in RE3? I think he may have been mentioned, or appeared in the ending credits depending on your score, but he hasn't shown up in the flesh since RE1. I'd LOVE to see Barry or Carlos again, though. RE0 was a better game than most people give it credit for, but I didn't care much for Rebecca or Billy as protagonists.

I still haven't played Revelations, so if this is a direct sequel to that branch, then... Well, I just really need to play Revelations.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 5:03 pm

From what I recall, you get the Barry ending depending on how you do in and depending on certain actions taken during the course of play, but yes, Barry actually does appear in re3.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 7:02 pm

I can't help but think that the character who has never made an in-game appearance must be one of the Umbrella executives with level 10 security clearance. There are still plenty creepin' around. Could even be another W child.

Goddamn, Resident Evil set itself up with infinite spinoff potential.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptySun Jun 01, 2014 7:23 pm

I dunno.. The chances that it could be a Wesker-child is there, since this character has only been
mentioned in files. It was only the returning characters who were given a timeline constraint, so this
new character could very well have been mentioned in recent time. But personally, I feel it's someone
from a past game.. We know it isn't the founders of Umbrella, since all of them are now dead, so then,
who?

Hm....
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptyMon Jun 02, 2014 11:54 am

Like I said, there are plenty of ex-execs/employees to go around. Also, Barry had two daughters, maybe the female character is one of them?
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptyTue Jun 03, 2014 1:49 am

Maybe, but i'm thinking its more likely someone who was mentioned by name. Barry's daughters
weren't named.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Whelp, it looks like there were no RE announcements this year at E3.

Does this instantly discredit the rumors? I dunno. Assuming they are real, there is a number
of reasons that the games weren't announced this time around. Too little time, not enough
information to share with the public, etc, etc.

I personally think they decided to wiat until next year when the new Resident Evil movie
is released. I guess they figure that the series will be fresh on people's mind and it will
generate more excitement, I dunno.

What I do know is that, I really hope that the rumors aren't false. We need a proper return
to Resident Evil's roots, and with playing Revelations, I can see that Capcom is capable of
returning the franchise to it's glory days.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 1:55 pm

I forget the details, but some Resident Evil website now has a new section called "Enhanced Veronica,"  which has lead to a huge amount of speculation.  Presumably, it'll be an HD port of 2000's Code Veronica.  If this turns out to be true, I welcome it.  CV generally gets a little more love than REZero, but not by a lot.  It was a worthy game, especially if you're a Claire fan.  You also get to play as Chris towards the end of the game.  It's really the only RE where the Redfield siblings actually interact, as far as I know.  

If and when this remake comes out, I recommend it to any of you who didn't play the original release.

Then again, this could all be BS. But at this point, news of a remake excites me more than news of RE7 would.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:44 pm

I dunno.

I mean, I didn't personally find anything particularly good with Code Veronica X. The only reason
the game is even remotely known is because it was ported from the Sega Saturn to the PS2 with
a few extra tidbits thrown in. I think it even got an HD coat of paint when it was ported to the WII
as part of the archives 1/2 bundle sets, so why would it get an entirely new HD game?

With Re4 I can see, its easily the most popular game in the series and one of the most popular games
world wide, it's a no brainer that it got an HD remake, but CVX? Nah, I don't see it..

What more can be done with Code Veronica anyway? All the Ashfords are dead, and I don't see how
remaking it will do any good, especially when fans have been begging for a remake of 2 since it pretty
much came out.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:06 pm

Yeah I would welcome a remake of 2 or 3, or even a reremake of 1 before CV.  I liked it well enough, though perhaps not enough to buy it again until it falls in price.

However, as we saw with Jake Wesker, a dead family doesn't necessarily mean the end.  There could very well be another "secret" Ashford with a six-letter A name.  Andrew Ashford, anyone?  I sincerely doubt it's an actual sequel to CV, in any case.

You're right, though.  Of all games in need of a remake, CV should be at the bottom of the list.  Only time will tell.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:11 pm

Yea, but see, that's just.

We knew there were more Wesker Kids out there prior to wesker's death. Alexia, Alfred and
their father were the last in their bloodline. It wouldn't make sense that there would be more
Ashford children out there, not this late in the game.

If this Veronica Enhanced is a real thing, it's likely just an extended cut of the original game,
like the way they did with VCX.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Character Sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 5:21 pm

I've learned to stop questioning the malleability of RE lore. If they wanna make something canon, by golly they'll find some contrived way to make it happen.

What I'm REALLY interested in seeing from this E3 is any news or video pertaining to The Evil Within. It's being created by the man responsible for RE1, and promises to be a return to survival horror, with the best elements of both Resident Evil and Silent Hill. But that's a conversation for another thread entirely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3   Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rumor: Resident Evil Spinoff to be announced at E3
Page 1 of 1