Mad Science Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mad Science Forums

It's still here!

HomePortalLatest imagesGallerySearchRegisterLog in

A "Serious" Website.

Go down 
+7
Austin Powers
HellBlaze
Z 1
W. Birkin
Buckaroo Banzai
Demon Eyes Kyo
Wesker
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

Number of posts : 667

A "Serious" Website. Empty
PostSubject: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:26 pm

Most of you who know me, also know that I have lots of money floating around, often enough burning a hole in my pocket and doing nothing good.

However, I've been tossing around the idea of purchasing a real website for us.

Of course, until the website was good enough to be called ours, we could continue to use this one.

Ideas? Suggestions? Just comments?

Post them here.

Last edited by Albert Wesker on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

Number of posts : 449

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:42 pm

I say no need. Our happy little forum works fine
Back to top Go down
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

Number of posts : 76

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 12:50 pm

I say yes. If done correctly, I can see a 'private' wiki, a dedicated chat client, and, depending on how dedicated our members are, ad support or donations might be enough to keep upkeep costs to a minimum.

I've voiced my opinions on the current chat box. Given an entire domain to work with, we could do anything with chat. I'm thinking a clone to CB, but more specialized.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Dorts wrote:
Given an entire domain to work with, we could do anything with chat. I'm thinking a clone to CB, but more specialized.

I like the way this man thinks!

So, Dorts, would you help me with setting it up if I were to purchase one?

Depending on the outcome of this vote, of course.
Back to top Go down
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 2:46 pm

Pending the vote, I'd be happy to.

I can't say I'll dedicate my life's work to it, but I can at least help out.
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Just to let you know i will never pay a single dime for a website. If i have to pay cash to be in Umbrella that'll be the end of me. I'm dedicated to Umbrella but not if i have to shell out money from my wallet. Just throwing that out there, but if other members want to donate then dont let me stop you.

Honestly why do we need a website? This forums does all that we need. No need to waste money just to make the clan more showy.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 3:00 pm

I dunno, Wesk.

I mean, it's your money so I suppose you could do whatever you wanted with it, however, I think it'd be a bit of a waste. The forums we have right now work fine, but if it's more of an actual website you're wanting, well we could simply pick up and move. I've done a bit of research on webs.com, and I've used it to make websites before. Their set up is pretty user friendly, and it gives you a lot of options to customize with. they also have their own forum options.

http://www.webs.com/ check it out for yourself.
Back to top Go down
Demon Eyes Kyo
Veteran
Demon Eyes Kyo

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 3:03 pm

Think really hard before you do it. Want really can you accomplish by making a website that this forum and DF can't provide. A homepage?
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Better chat, like Dorts mentioned, for one thing. And that's one HUGE thing.

I don't know if many people have used the chat, but it lags like a sunnuva bitch.

I'll come up with more reasons later, but this is just a little suggestion. No harm meant, just figured I could put that cash I have burning a hole in my pocket to better use.

Nobody would have to pay cash except for me, Demon.
Back to top Go down
W. Birkin
Veteran
W. Birkin

Number of posts : 490

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 3:40 pm

Still, we don't want to put you in any sort of financial danger, Wesker. You're our pal.

I can see what both Dorts and Kyo are saying. On one hand, a better chat system would be
nice. The chat can be a pain in the ass with it's lag, and I don't know about anyone else, but
these forums are glitchy at times, at least for me. I'll try to browse, and it's not uncommon
for the site to request me to download certain pages, or at times will show me the site's
coding. It can be quite persistent about it, too. Requiring multiple refreshes to get the page
to load properly.

On the other hand, there's a domain name. With it comes tons of freedom. We could make
the site into whatever we want, from a little forum and a chat, to a full scale site that could
serve as a hub for not only the DF Umbrella but the UD Umbrella as well. But it also brings
hosting costs, bandwidth limits, and many other problems. A simple DDOS attack could
utterly shut things down.

We have to weigh all benefits and drawbacks before we do anything.
Back to top Go down
Z 1
Shotgun Surgeon
Z 1

Number of posts : 79

Character Sheet
Name: Talethal Yoric
Weapons: Aeromancer
Items: Lute, Raiper

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 4:16 pm

I say no, what we have works, no need to spend money.

If its not broke, don't fix it.
Back to top Go down
HellBlaze
Soldier
HellBlaze

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Hmmmm. Kind of in between. All state valid points.
Back to top Go down
Austin Powers
The Bartender
The Bartender
Austin Powers

Number of posts : 72

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Meh. I don't really see the point of purchasing a website. All we do here is bs and rp mostly. The Chat seems to work fine for me, too.
Back to top Go down
Uvana
Soldier
Uvana

Number of posts : 179

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyTue Feb 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Chat works perfectly fine for me most of the time. Only rarely does it crap out and lag.

Also, as said before, this Forum provides more than anything we need. What else would we use it for? Nothing, more than likely. None of us are crazy coders that can make an automatic trading system for the storage via sent packets, etc. Therefore, no point. And even then, if someone was able to do something like that, we could do it in form of a Widget on here.

All in all, everything that we'll ever need is provided here.
Back to top Go down
Z 1
Shotgun Surgeon
Z 1

Number of posts : 79

Character Sheet
Name: Talethal Yoric
Weapons: Aeromancer
Items: Lute, Raiper

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 8:18 am

Yeah, I am only on the training stage of java coding right now, I don't even know how to get a program to work out of a compiler yet. Besides, Admin would not like it.
Back to top Go down
koth

koth

Number of posts : 0

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 12:22 pm

my opinion is still the same as yesterday, making the clan more knowledgeable the more likely it is that we will be infected by a rival or some idiot who thinks it's funny to crash computers.
🇧🇸
i voted maybe because of this reason, the estimated amount of viruses and worms made a day number in to,............ well several thousand; so.................up to the clan.
Back to top Go down
Trig
Failed Experiment
Failed Experiment
Trig

Number of posts : 14

Character Sheet
Name:
Weapons: None
Items: Nothing

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 4:49 pm

I changed my vote to maybe.

I love this place. It serves all of our needs. It is like our batcave.

But of course, I suppose there's always room for improvement... Primarily in the chatbox.
Back to top Go down
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 6:19 pm

I'd like to see a better chat box at least. leaving it in the box up on the top of the home page ties our hands. If anything, a pop out option, and an audio alert for when people get on. also increased timeout.
Back to top Go down
Uvana
Soldier
Uvana

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 7:00 pm

I could do some coding, but that means having to revamp the entire site layout so that it looks the same, and also the fact that I'd have to try and remember what the fuck I need to do. Not to mention I don't know if they use their own unique language or not.

And that it'd be extremely boring to do. XD
Back to top Go down
Buckaroo Banzai
Interdimensional Badass
Interdimensional Badass
Buckaroo Banzai

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 7:05 pm

I've been known to actually go to class from time to time, and from time to time, I might actually listen. One of those times I listened, my professor gave me this little ray of wisdom: "Sometimes you are going to look around and see that something needs to be fixed. i might not 'have' to be fixed, but it 'needs' to be fixed. at this point, you need to find some poor schmuck to do it. even if you're that schmuck."
Back to top Go down
Uvana
Soldier
Uvana

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Meh.

I have no problems with it, and apparently it's only a select few that do, therefore there is no real problem. ;)
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 7:44 pm

We're fine with what we have.
Back to top Go down
Wesker
Overseer
Overseer
Wesker

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Alright, well, I suppose that's that.

Sorta realized it'd be shot down, but it was worth a try!
Back to top Go down
Pest02
Soldier
Pest02

Number of posts : 426

Character Sheet
Name: Frost
Weapons: Samurai Edge(9mm)
Items: USB necklace(Umbrella Uplink), 9mm ammo

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 7:54 pm

There is a way to add on HTML pages to this site, but I'm not that good at HTML.
Back to top Go down
Uvana
Soldier
Uvana

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 8:49 pm

HTML is fairly easy to use. But once again, I hate it. XD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A "Serious" Website.   A "Serious" Website. Empty

Back to top Go down

A "Serious" Website.
Page 1 of 1